PC made bang sound, no longer turns on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Doge773

After the bang, only the hard drive light appears on the front of the PC Tower, everything else shows no sign of life,
The motherboard - no debug lights, or lights at all for that matter.
No fans, or anything spin, or make any sound at all.
Overall, nothing happens when pressing the power button, the only thing that happens when.i plug the pc itself into the mains is the HD light, as mentioned.
I've checked cables and have found no loose ones.

Gr3iz

Mark
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

My first guess is power supply, though why the HDD LED would be on is a puzzler. Do you have access to another power supply to connect to test with? Perhaps a friend?
Is this a brand name PC?
Can you smell smoke or anything?

Doge773

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

My first guess is power supply, though why the HDD LED would be on is a puzzler. Do you have access to another power supply to connect to test with? Perhaps a friend?
Is this a brand name PC?
Can you smell smoke or anything?
I do not have access to another PSU, no, and at the time I believe I smelt something a bit odd, yes, but saw nothing unusual, no sparks etc. It was custom built by some tech guy a few years back I believe.
The PSU is a Tagan 480W,
Ram is 8GB DDR2, sticks of 2GB x 4
Gigabyte motherboard, though I don't know what model, believe it had an i5 processor also.

Gr3iz

Mark
I'm still going with power supply. It is likely a standard form-factor. Unfortunately, the way to confirm a suspect part is by replacing it. There are other possibilities, but the power supply is probably 4:1 likelihood of being the cause. Slim chance it is the motherboard, we cannot rule it out. I'd try to replace the power supply first. You're gonna get what you pay for. There are cheap power supplies, but they are cheap for a reason. It won't hurt to up the power output a little, say to 500 or 600 watts. Hopefully one of the other guys will pop in with the quality makes/models. I've used Thermaltake units, but I know they are not top of the line, either, though I've had no problems with them.

Doge773

I'm still going with power supply. It is likely a standard form-factor. Unfortunately, the way to confirm a suspect part is by replacing it. There are other possibilities, but the power supply is probably 4:1 likelihood of being the cause. Slim chance it is the motherboard, we cannot rule it out. I'd try to replace the power supply first. You're gonna get what you pay for. There are cheap power supplies, but they are cheap for a reason. It won't hurt to up the power output a little, say to 500 or 600 watts. Hopefully one of the other guys will pop in with the quality makes/models. I've used Thermaltake units, but I know they are not top of the line, either, though I've had no problems with them.
Alright, thanks man :) greatly appreciate you answering, and will look into getting a new PSU in the coming months!

Gr3iz

Mark
Not a problem! Always happy to help. Please keep us posted on your results ...

Doge773

It may be a while before I can! I myself am only 14, and my dad said I can get a PSU for my birthday, which is 9 Nov :(

Doge773

It may be a while before I can! I myself am only 14, and my dad said I can get a PSU for my birthday, which is 9 Nov :(
Going to mark as solved as likely won't have much to update with, impressive work you're doing by the way, I admire it - 11 years of help on this forum! Congratulations.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It was custom built by some tech guy a few years back I believe.
The PSU is a Tagan 480W,
Ram is 8GB DDR2, sticks of 2GB x 4
Gigabyte motherboard, though I don't know what model, believe it had an i5 processor also.
my dad said I can get a PSU for my birthday
If that computer has DDR2 RAM, I tend to doubt it has an Intel Core i5 processor.
Depending on how old and outdated its hardware is, investing money in a new power supply may not be justified.
And if the power supply blew, it may very well have taken out other hardware which would need to be replaced.

------------------------------------------------

Doge773

You seem very mature for 14! Best of luck to you!
Thankyku
If that computer has DDR2 RAM, I doubt it has an Intel Core i5 processor.
Depending on how old and outdated its hardware is, investing money in a new power supply may not be justified.
And if the power supply blew, it may very well have taken out other hardware with it.

------------------------------------------------
I think it did have an i5 , but possible it may not have, it did run games quite well, effortlessly on 40fps, not super high end games, but games such as Wurm Online. And I was surprised to see it had DDR2 when opening it up earlier if I'm honest. The graphics card is pretty decent, not that of a 2080 to, but it's a gtx 980 regardless. I'm going to buy a decent psu and work from there, may end up replacing motherboaed and ram too, thanks for the response!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
After you replace the power supply, come back here and let us know what the outcome was.
Good luck. (y)

--------------------------------------------------

Doge773

After you replace the power supply, come back here and let us know what the outcome was.
Good luck. (y)

--------------------------------------------------
As previously mentioned, may be months before I do get a new psu, but once I do I will definitely come back here!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Oh, okay.
If you go more than 30 - 45 days without posting here, your thread will be considered inactive and probably will be closed.

-------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online