1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC making annoying loud noise?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nally25, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nally25

nally25 Thread Starter

I have Windows Vista basic. I am running free avg anti virus.
    But for some reason my comuter makes this really loud noise and it is slow to do anything open control panel or games or anything at all. SO you know when you are doing a virus scan and it makes that loud noise well mine does that alot. Please help me.
    I know the basics about computers so I should not be too hard to teach. Thanks in advance.:mad:

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hi nally25, welcome to the site,Your computer shouldn't be making any noises at all,especially during a virus scan,the only noise you should be hearing is the quiet one of the fans running...are you on dial up by the way or broadband ? sounds to me like you have a faulty fan or worse maybe your hard drive is a bit wonky .....how old is your computer? if its under warranty you should maybe get it looked at .....

3. nally25

nally25 Thread Starter

I have had this for almost 2 years. The warranty is out. I only had a year. My fan i far from quiet. I have roadrunner.

4. nally25

nally25 Thread Starter

it is not even 2 years old yet. I have roadrunner

5. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I take it you mean you have had the computer for 2 years,not the noise , it may be that the computer has a build up of dust inside it causing the fans to work harder,and maybe thats the noise you are hearing, have you ever cleaned the dust from inside it,look at the back of the computer do you see any dust build up around any of the vents,can you feel the air from the fan being expelled ? there will probably be a build up of dust around the vents from the power supply (Im asuming its a desktop?) and also on the fan on top of the processor on the motherboard,you can buy cans of pressured air for removing this dust from computer shops,or you can if you wish just use a soft paint brush and suck it out using a vacuum cleaner, provided you feel competent to do this,in any case you will need to remove at least one side of the computer case to do this.... the only other thing that could be causing a noise is if your hard drive is on the way out, if its this you really need to back your computer up asap and fit a new drive....if you dont feel able to carry out these tasks you really need someone to take a look at it,because as I said ther should be no noise from computers apart from the gentle sound of the fan exhaust .....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice