1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC making grinding noise on startup, need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TGTzeng, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TGTzeng

TGTzeng Thread Starter

Hello,

Ok, I'm not sure if I came to the right place for this problem but I'm looking for as much help as I can.

This has been happening for awhile now but everyday when I first startup the computer it makes this grinding noise that lasts for about two minutes then it goes away and is fine for the rest of the day when I use it. At first I thought it was dust so I took it out and cleaned it up a bit with a can of compressed air. After trying that, the noise is still there. I don't think it's my hard drive since I use a SSD. I haven't gotten a chance to open the case and carefully listen where the noise is coming from but one thing I do know is when the noise is happening and I thump the case with my hand a few times it seems like one of the fans inside makes this lower power noise thing and then you can hear it slowly coming back up to normal speed. Keep in mind this only happens if I thump or hit the case with my hand. I'm planning on opening the case soon and see what is causing the noise but I'd like an idea if you guys know if what could be causing the noise so I know what to pay attention to. And what can I use so I can hear better where the noise is coming from?

2. dai

dai

use a straw to your hear and move it around the components to try and isolate the cause

probably a fan

the last thing you want to do is thump the case with your hand if want the computer to keep running

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A long thin screwdriver works well also for determining the source of the noise. If it is a case fan, just get one the same diameter and with the same type of pw connector ie 120mm 3 wire or whatever. If it is the cpu cooler fan, it is generally best to just purchase a new hsf and install the new one as a complete unit.

Post which fan is causing the problem and we can recommend a replacement.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!