1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Migration Software (Including Application Migration)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by neurtic, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

I only know of TWO programs that do this... and until recently, I thought it impossible because of how deeply woven into the OS, file directory, and registry each software application was woven...

but now there's LapLink PCMover that will completely trnsfer all files AND installed software to a new system... even if its a different OS, impressive imo

I thought that it was the only one... until I realized that Acronis also has Acronis Migrate Easy which ALSO migrates installed software and program settings...

Does anyone know of any OTHER software capable of doing this? Its impressive imo... and worth way more than these companies are charging for it.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Yes impressive.

Comodo Programs Manager monitors program installations and registry activity for uninstallations. I never thought about it before, but it does seem like that could fairly easily be converted to a similar type of feature for creating backups for programs, including their registry entries. Not so sure about moving the programs to a different OS part, though. I'd like to know what's in doing that...what exactly has to happen to move a program from XP to 7 (or 7 to XP?) or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if Comodo were to develop migration as part of their backup program. Just back up Documents and Settings and selected programs and their registry entries. Guess it wouldn't be free..

3. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

Yea, direct cloning (including software) has been around forever (see Norton Ghost 8)...
    but migrating software and files to a DIFFERENT OS is impressive...

imo anyway

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice