1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC monitor keeps going black but the tower still runs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharpo1, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharpo1

sharpo1 Thread Starter

hello there, my desktop PC keeps randomly having the monitor go black with a message coming up saying no signal however this is not all. if i am watching a video it will loop the sound also, so its just turns into an elongated humming noise. does anyone know what to do? i have taken it to a technician he said he took it apart and rebuilt it and left it on for around 2-3 days and this didn't happen. over the course of 10 days he tested what he could and still did'nt know. i got the pc back around 3-4 days ago and it's only just started happening again. i have 7 fans and a big cpu heatsink so im not sure its temperature.

the computer remains on and humming normally throughout all of this. i have tried different hdmi cables also and no difference.

what info would you guys need?

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Based on your description of the fault my first checks would be on the GPU itself. However, as we have absolutely no knowledge of the PC you are talking about it is a little hard to make and informed response.

Please provide the exact make and model of the PC, assuming it is a 'big brand' make like a HP, Dell, Asus etc. Also let us know if you have changed any hardware in it.

If it is a self / custom build please provide the exact make and model of the Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, Power Supply etc. the more info the better.

What operating system are you using, is it 32 or 64 bit and is it fully patched and up to date?

Are all your drivers fully patched and up to date?

Exactly where are the fans located in your case and are they blowing air in or out? :Having more fans does not necessarily mean better cooling, it can infact degrade the cooling efficiency of the system if there are too many or they are setup badly.

3. sharpo1

sharpo1 Thread Starter

hey there. i built the computer myself.

i am using an MSI X99 sli plus motherboard

16gb ddr4 crucial ballistix ram 4 sticks at 4gb each

intel core i7 5820k 3.30 ghz cpu

64 bit windows 8.1

EVGA geforce gtx 970 graphics card

EVGA super nova 850w psu

be quiet! shadow rock2 heatsink

one 140mm mill fan at the top facia back sitting intaking

one 120mm fan at the bottom facia front sitting intaking

two 120mm fans at the front facia bottom sitting intaking

one 120mm fan at the back facia top sitting exhuasting

plus the heatsink fan and the 2 gpu fans.

as far as im aware all my drivers are up to date.

UPDATE

it's started making black/white lines flash horizontally across the bottom of the monitor just before it goes black now. literally for a split second. however it sometimes recovers after it goes black and then proceeds on normally (as if nothing is wrong) for however long.

Attached Files:

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If I have read this fan setup correctly, I think you air flow is inefficient and could do with a slight change, see my comments in red above.

Your graphics drivers are out of date, your DXDiag shows you running version 347.52 and the current version from Nvidia is 353.06. Admittedly those were only release yesterday but there are 3 other versions between those and yours.

Do you know what your temps and voltages are like?
    If not, please download Speccy from here. Once installed go through the following steps to publish the report online:

1.In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

2.In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

3.Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Copy and paste the URL to a reply here.

5. sharpo1

sharpo1 Thread Starter

ive just downloaded the driver and im adding the url here. i turned the computer on around an hour or so ago, after i woke up and had to restart it around 5/6 times before it would let me start downloading the updates for nvidia.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4XKNsI63GmOQhV5qwNFlXbI

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice