1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC needs to"warm up" before being able to play games

Discussion in 'Games' started by grinch2, May 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grinch2

grinch2 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I've got a problem ever since I've tried to run some more performance-intenisve games.

It appears, that sometimes when I start a game, my PC reacts accordingly and utilizes more of its workpower to be able to run the game (indicated by an audible increase of cooling-fan volume). As long as I don't turn off the PC again it will keep this state of "effort" and the game (as well as any other program I start up) runs smoothly.

Unfortunately, 50% of the time I start the SAME game, it is still in some kind of powersaving (or idle) work mode (indicated again by no increase of cooler volume), and it doesnt change even though I try to play for enough time for it to power up. While this happens, all performances intensive games will

In other words, starting up games is more of a gamble if it will run smoothly or just slideshow again, rather than an enjoyable experience.

It is as my PC has a mind of its own, being totally capable of running all games if it "feels like it", but not always doing so.

Is there any way of forcing the CPU to use its full capacity?

I already tried to change the system cooling policy from "passive" to "active", but to no effect.

I'd appreciate it a lot if there'd be finally a solution to resolve this ongoing issue.

Many Thanks

PS: DxDIAG is Uploaded

Windows 10 running on 120 GB Samsung SSD
    AMD FX-8320
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

According to your log, your computer has the above described processor and graphics card and 16 GB of RAM.

According to your log, the graphics card is using a very outdated driver - version 388.31
    The most current version is 430.53.
    Updating the driver may resolve some of your gaming issues.

Since we don't know which advanced power settings you're using, and we also don't know which installed apps are running in the background, there could be a number of reasons for your computer's performance issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. grinch2

grinch2 Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response.

I see. I will tend to that. Nevertheless, it does sometimes work flawlessly, indicating that it might not be a Graphics Card Problem? I don’t know.

Is there any part of the advanced power settings that could be especially relevant?
    I could take screenshots of them.
    Didn’t notice anything odd though.

Installed apps such as?
    Actively, I’m not running anything else besides the game.

If I can, I will provide more information, I just don’t know what yet

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your log, your computer is running Windows 10 Home Version 1803 OS Build 17134 64-bit.
    It's my guess all of its default 40+ "bloatware" apps are still installed, and some of them are probably running in the background.
    Additional apps that you've installed will add to the number of them which are running in the background.
    Without being there to have a "eyes on/hands on" with your computer, it's impossible to know what apps to get rid of and which setting changes to make.

What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply unit?

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice