1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC no boot, no beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kyoterry, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyoterry

kyoterry Thread Starter

Ok so everything was working fine when i turned off my PC. i had just recieved my new processor, which i was planning on installing. I take off my previous Cpu and install the new one. I connect it and turn it on. Everything turns on, like the fans and video card, etc. However, there was no beeps, and no image on the screen. The computer will have all the fans working and stuff, so i figured it may be the processor. I put back my old one, and it does the same thing! I cant get my computer to boot anymore. which is weird, since i am sure the hard drive is spinning and the mobo is getting power. I also tried re-seating my memory, and putting in just one stick by alternating them, etc.
    also, when the dvd drives are plugged in, they constantly light up, as if it were trying to read something.

what could be the problem?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

What is the new processor and what is the motherboard? Post the exact specifications... Sounds like the processor doesn't work in the motherboard.

If you're sure it's compatible, reset the CMOS and see if that does the job.

3. kyoterry

kyoterry Thread Starter

The processor is AMD athlon 64 3800 2.4Ghz Venice, my old processor was a 3200 Venice...so it should work with the motherboard.

the mobo is ASRock 939Dual-VSTA Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard(taken from newegg)

could the processor be fried? I forgot to connect the cpu fan, and the computer may have been on for 30 sec or more. However, if that were the case, then the old processor should have worked, since i connected the fan and stuff this time. Or could it be video card or chipset fried?

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Have you reset the CMOS?

Yes, you CAN torch a CPU in 30 seconds. Let's start with resetting the CMOS and see where we are then.

5. kyoterry

kyoterry Thread Starter

so, even if i torched the new one, the old one should still work. however, even tho i have connected it and placed it in correctly, still no go. and i have tried clearing the CMOS and the battery.

6. thechanmane

thechanmane

Torching the CPU can have very damaging effects on many components in your computer. In most cases though, you old CPU should still work; however, there is chance that if you torched your CPU you could have damaged the socket in the process. 30 seconds is a very long time for a processor to not be cooled (especially for an AMD). A CPU can be torched in much less time, for example simply taking the fan off while the computer is running is often times enough to torch it.

7. kyoterry

kyoterry Thread Starter

So the chipset may be bad. which causes my old cpu to not work either?

8. thechanmane

thechanmane

Yes, unfortunately, this may be the case. When the CPU failed after not being cooled properly, it most likely damaged the socket it was sitting in on the motherboard which in turn may have damaged other components of the motherboard (hopefully just the motherboard). There are of course other possibilities, but these circumstances aren't promising. If anything new comes up, let us know and we'll get you some new suggestions; otherwise, you may just want to wait and see if anyone else has an alternative diagnosis that you can test out.

9. kyoterry

kyoterry Thread Starter

hopefulyl it was only the motherboard. i would cry if the hd/memory/soundcard/videocard were messed up

10. thechanmane

thechanmane

It's unlikely that anything else was affected; however, it's always a possibility :(. When you installed your old CPU back into your motherboard, did you remember to reapply the thermal grease on the heatsink? Did you let the processor run for any amount of time without a heatsink?

11. kyoterry

kyoterry Thread Starter

no, the amd comes with the thermal grease. and i did not run it wihtout the heatsink

12. Ysaric

Ysaric

Kyoterry, were you ever able to resolve this problem? I am now experiencing the exact same problem in trying to upgrade from an Athlon 64 3200+ to an X2 4200+ on the same motherboard.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice