Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC no longer turns on- Help diagnosing?

251 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Morksy 
#1 ·
I tried turning my 3 year old PC on the other day but it just won't start up at all. The power button seems to do nothing at all. It still provides power to USB devices, but won't boot.
I've tried:
  • Removing RAM, CPU and GPU and turning it on- this didn't work
  • Jump-starting the motherboard by bridging the PWR pins- this didn't work either
  • Replacing the whole PSU with a new one- this didn't work
At this point it seems certain that the motherboard is to blame, but just so I don't waste any more money, what are your thoughts? Are there any other ways I can diagnose this?

#2 ·
What I'd do is take it back down to bare bones out on a table. Nothing but:

motherboard (on a non-conductive surface),
CPU (w/heatsink),
RAM,
PSU,
video,
keyboard and mouse.

Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try a different PSU and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory default.

Let us know what you find out ...

#3 ·
Removing RAM, CPU and GPU and turning it on- this didn't work
That is not going to do anything other than [maybe] generate a beep code.
You are posting in a hardware forum and no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs ie exact motherboard, exact processor, etc, etc. If this is by chance a big box system, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

#4 ·
CPU: Intel i5 6500
RAM: Crucial 8 GB (4 GB x 2) DDR4 2133 MT/s
GPU: AMD RX 460
PSU: Corsair VS650 650 W
Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2H Motherboard (Socket 1151, H110 Express, DDR4, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX)

A beep code is exactly what I'd expect from removing the RAM, but my problem is I'm not getting any response from trying to power on the machine- it might as well not be plugged in. The whole point of removing everything was to see if some faulty component was preventing the machine from powering on at all, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not looking for the system to post, just receive any sort of power.

#7 ·
Have you pulled the video card out and connected to the onboard/onchip video?
If you have tried two different pw supplies and tried with onchip video, then that pretty much points at a failed board.

I checked the specs on that board. Gigabyte [like all board mfg] makes some high end boards and some budget ie low end. Yours is one of the low end boards. It is a micro board with the entry level chipset. If you have used this for three years running video games, it would not surprise me that it has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.