1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC noise

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Marko, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marko

Marko Thread Starter

OI own a compaq 5304. Its an in exspensive PC but its all we can afford.My question is that apon start up the tower groans and growls.It gets less loud as it warms up and sometimes no noise at all. It does come back intermittently during use. My wife just vacumed the back and got some dust out from the fan area.I understand that they all humm a little bit but this is fairly loud when you first turn it on. Anyone expirience this and are there any remidies or Ideas what it may be? .....Thanks in advance Mark

2. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi Marko,

About every 6-9 months, I take the cover off my computers and vacuum them out and blow them out with compressed air. I also use qtips that are damp with a liquid cleaner to clean the fan blades on several fans within each tower. I started doing this a few years ago when a computer started making the sounds that you describe. It has helped me and I hope it does you.

regards,

spaceman

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Marko
    Welcome to TSG!
    It is important that you isolate which componant is making the noise at startup. Do as Spaceman says but don't do any cleaning until you have found you noise maker. Remove side panel turn on, listen for noise, once found clean as spaceman suggests. Restart with side panel off and see if noise persists. If it is a fan be sure to replace it, if its a drive post back for suggestions on what to do.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice