Solved PC not booting after dusting off, red light on motherboard

JoyousAxle

Recently i thought I would dust off my PC, and I used a hair dryer(set to room temperature) to do it. Got a rid of a ton of dust, but now it won't boot up. Power's on but no signal to screen, and a solid red light is shining on the motherboard. Realized after googling that hair dryer probably wasn't the greatest of ideas. I assume some part of the hardware is damaged, so does anyone have any ideas of what to look at/how to troubleshoot this? Should I check each component for any specific damage?

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR - Black, Socket-1150
Power Supply: Cooler Master G750M, 750W PSU
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce BLACK GTX 970 4GB
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Black

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
Hello, JoyousAxle, and welcome to TSG.

... and a solid red light is shining on the motherboard. ...
Can you please be a bit more specific about which light you are referring to on the motherboard?

Are you using the motherboard's video output or do you have a graphics controller card plugged into the motherboard?

Do any lights flash on the keyboard upon power up?

Are all the fans spinning on power up?

If the monitor has multiple inputs, have you confirmed the right input has been selected?

Are you able to display the monitor's on-screen setup menus if it has them"

Have you confirmed that the video cable is fully plugged in?

ASUS Mobo.gif

crjdriver

You would not be the first nor will you be the last person to knock something loose while inside the case. Remove the pw cord from the back of the pw supply. Now reseat ie pull out and reinstall both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated. Pull out the ram and blow the slots out with a can of air [available at any office store, computer store, or even walmart] Reinstall the ram and again be sure it is fully seated. Reseat your video card. Note there is a latch that must be depressed in order to remove the card. Do not just yank it out; you will break the board or card. Reinstall the card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot.
Reinstall the pw cord and attempt to pw ON. If it does not work now, you will need to start swapping parts with known good units; ie pw supply, motherboard, cpu, etc until you find what has failed.

JoyousAxle

Thanks for the help! It was the DRAM LED light which was shining, apparently indicating faulty memory, so I unplugged on of the RAM units and reseated it properly, and now it boots up. Still makes a whole lot of noise, but I'll have to look into that in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online