PC not booting - hardware failure

moozer

Hi all

Over the last few months, my PC has been experiencing random shutdowns - this could happen 10 times in a day and not happen for two weeks. That random. When this does happen, I find I have had to turn off all power at the mains outlet and leave it 10 minutes - if I was lucky it would turn back on, but UEFI would be back at default settings. Weird.

Anyway, yesterday, the PC restarted (planned restart) and it never restarted, but turned off.

Odd

So....trying to turn it on - lights on the case flash for less than a second - will not fire up. Opening the case I see that the CPU fan spins as is the PSU fan.

Tried checking everything is seated properly, took out the RAM. Tried turning PC on - turns on fans spinning and stays on for 10 seconds or so, then turns of but is in a bootloop. RAM reinstalled...back to on/off straight away.

Suspected PSU fail - tested it by shorting two pins on the 24pin connector (not plugged into PC) and it ran as it should.

Suspected RAM fail - managed to ask a friend to test in his rig - works fine

DAMN!!!

As I cannot enter BIOS - I tried clearing CMOS by taking out the battery and using the 2-pin jumper technique. No dice.

DAMN #2!!

I'm stuck.

I cannot test if my processor (Ryzen 5 2400G APU) or Motherboard is broken.

Please help

Moozer

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When you remove all the power the Cmos battery should preserve the UEFI settings, I would fit a new Cmos battery and see if that helps.

moozer

When you remove all the power the Cmos battery should preserve the UEFI settings, I would fit a new Cmos battery and see if that helps.
That wouldn't prevent the PC from booting though

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That wouldn't prevent the PC from booting though
Maybe so but it's an easy thing to try and I've seen a failing Cmos battery cause some weird things, including a laptop that wouldn't boot up until a new one was fitted.

moozer

Maybe so but it's an easy thing to try and I've seen a failing Cmos battery cause some weird things, including a laptop that wouldn't boot up until a new one was fitted.
Fair point, mate. Will give it a go

moozer

Tested with new battery. Same scenario I'm afraid. Check voltage on old battery and shows 3.05V with new battery showing 3.315V

Any other suggestions very much welcome

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you have a motherboard speaker/beeper installed do you get a beep pattern after switching on ?

moozer

If you have a motherboard speaker/beeper installed do you get a beep pattern after switching on ?
Okay...major strange situation now. Just checked CPU power connector (8-pin) and all at 12V. Reconnected and PC started up. No idea how the hell it became loose.

Next minute though, after I turned off the PC to reconnect peripheral USBs, etc, it went back to on/off state. So, powered off and reseated the 8-pin CPU connector and all good again.

No idea what to do with that. Any suggestions?

It would seem that that could have been the root of all the power offs, but how do I get these sorted?

moozer

Allan - something I've clearly overlooked. The 8-pin connector (technically 4+4 pin) seems to be incompatible with the motherboard 8-pin module - the pins are different shapes, however, one of the 4-pin connectors matches.

It is back up and running - I only noticed this after searching around the internet.

Would that be the cause of all my loss of power issues?

I need to keep it running to check, obviously. But...I feel this could be significant. What are your thoughts?

moozer

Had two Event 41 restarts in last 4 hours.

Back to driving me insane

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Can you get hold of another PSU to test ? You should be able to connect it without fitting it into the case.

moozer

Can you get hold of another PSU to test ? You should be able to connect it without fitting it into the case.
Unfortunately no. How heavily are you thinking the PSU?
Not had any reboots or Event 41's for 6 hours. Not bad. UEFI has kept in tact and when it did reboot it was a straight forward "back to OS" reboot rather than struggling and me having to cut all power to the rig and wait 10 minutes before restarting. Will keep an eye on things
Thanks for replying

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I mentioned another PSU because you said you had problems connecting to the 8-pin motherboard connector.
But if things seem ok now I would use the computer as usual and hopefully the problem is fixed.
Of course if it does shutdown again post again here.

moozer

I mentioned another PSU because you said you had problems connecting to the 8-pin motherboard connector.
But if things seem ok now I would use the computer as usual and hopefully the problem is fixed.
Of course if it does shutdown again post again here.
Just now...typing on an online forum and the PC shutdown. Struggling now to boot to UEFI. Taken 5 bootloops so I turned mains power off (at the outlet)

Back on, but UEFI has gone to default.

It makes no sense. It's a freak of nature

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online