1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not booting up properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rocky_91, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rocky_91

Rocky_91 Thread Starter

okay. well i know absolutley *nothing* about computers. :confused:
    but. my computer isnt booting up propery. i think thats the right word. when it loads when you turn it on? well it doesnt do that.
    i turn it on, and the screen is blak. nothing happens. i wait a few minutes, press the reset button, and *sometimes* the monitor button turns green, like its trying to boot-up, but then goes back to orange. i do this several times, sometimes it works, and stays green and boots up. but some nights im there for seven hours trying to turn it on to finnish coursework. and i think i need to try and fix it. :mad:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

That is usually a sign of a failing Power Supply . . What brand and model is the pc?

3. Fankle

Fankle

It could be anything from a bad switch to a bad motherboard. We need more information. Perhaps the last time it was running correctly, any installations between then and now. Anything that may be of some use to us. Also, what is happening when you hit the power button? Fans? Disks spinning? Cd drive spinning up? lights blink on keyboard, mouse or monitor?

4. Rocky_91

Rocky_91 Thread Starter

simpswr: uhm... i'd tell you, but i dont know how to it find out?:confused:

5. Rocky_91

Rocky_91 Thread Starter

Fankle: Well it's running now, but it wasnt yesturday. sometimes it works in five minutes, sometimes twenty minutes, but if it takes longer than that then its usually not going to work that day. sometimes i turn it on in the morning and don't hit reset till afternoon, although it doesnt work any better than if i reset five minutes after turning on.
    also, when i turn it on. fan goes, the disk drives open, when i press the button, and there are lights on the actuall computer bit that turn on.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

What does it say when you look at the front of the tower?

7. Rocky_91

Rocky_91 Thread Starter

it says Novatech.

i was looking in the controll pannel...
    "System
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

AMD Anthlon(tm) XP 1800+
    1.53 GHz, 640 MB of RAm" does this help at all?

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

It helps some . . still no indication of the Power Supply . . you can take the side off and look at the label on it . . or take it to a shop and ask them to test it . . should not cost much to test

9. The Sinister

The Sinister

Wait, try going to the properties:
    Code:
    - goto desktop
    - right-click
    - properties
    - and... goto screen saver

I remember it saying stuff about power supply or something.
    But I think it's for when it should turn the monitor off...

I'd try it but i'm at the library, because my computers hard drive wont work.

10. Rocky_91

Rocky_91 Thread Starter

is the Uninterruptible Power Supply useful to you?
    oh, and i asked my brother what the computer was. he sed amd athlon xp 1800. and the power supply is 300W. he does computer science at university, but when he came back during xmas, he didnt know what was wrong with the computer.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

300W P/S is borderline when new . . you need to have it tested

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!