1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not detecting all RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KeyStroke, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KeyStroke

KeyStroke Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and I've been running on 4 GB RAM for a while.

Today I bought four RAM sticks, 2GB each, and installed it in my desktop. but Windows only saw 4 GB of RAM. So I removed two of them, but now Windows only sees 2 GB of RAM!

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R . And I've installed the sticks on the yellow and red slots as you can see below:

[​IMG]

And here are my RAM specs just in case:

Old RAM sticks: DDR2 5-5-5-18 @ 1.80v, 800MHz

New RAM sticks: DDR2 5-5-5 @ 2.20v, 1066MHz

I'm no hardware guy, so if anyone can make sense of this, I'd really appreciate it. And I've missed mentioning anything important, please let me know. :)

2. BG-0

BG-0

The board is not simply designed to run 2.2V RAM sticks. You're somewhat lucky to even have the computer run with those. Referring to the motherboard manufacturer's QVL list or one of the "compatible memory finders" of Crucial, Corsair or Kingston (Crucial is the one with most matches usually), or independent people having tested the board with the RAM you're planning to get (in the configuration you're planning, if two sticks work, it doesn't mean four do) is recommended when you're buying RAM.

3. KeyStroke

KeyStroke Thread Starter

Thanks BG-0 :)

I've put my old RAM sticks back into the motherboard, but it still says that I have 2.0 GB or RAM, even though I have 4. Any idea why?

4. BG-0

BG-0

You could've damaged the other memory slot somehow...
    Try resetting your CMOS just to be sure.

5. KeyStroke

KeyStroke Thread Starter

That didn't work.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

6. BG-0

BG-0

Did you test the old sticks the other way round? If you didn't, please do, after that test the nonfunctional stick, or nonfunctional slot in/with another computer/another stick of RAM.

7. BG-0

BG-0

Same goes for the new ones, test each stick individually in each slot, see which combinations of stick/slot make it not work, and which work partially, etc.

8. KeyStroke

KeyStroke Thread Starter

I'm worried about my old sticks now, I'll just return the new ones.

I did a quick test with my old RAM sticks using one of them, and I've found out that the upper slots (see the picture in the original post) don't seem to work. When I put only one RAM stick in these slots, the system produces continuous long beeps and doesn't start.

According the manual, the beeps means the graphic card isn't inserted correctly. But this doesn't make any sense.

I'm confused. What should I do know? :(

9. BG-0

BG-0

Well, you quite apparently broke your RAM slots with the new RAM sticks. You can continue using the old sticks in single channel in the lower slots (hope it will see all 4 GB this way), and start saving for a new motherboard.... The problem is, Socket 775 motherboards are a dumb buy at the moment. You're restricted to outdated and overpriced CPUs, no real upgrade path... And you could want to do the RAM upgrade at some point, and a S775 board is really not the place to do that. (DDR2 800 to DDR2 1066 is not a real significant upgrade, and if you don't know you actually need 8 GB of RAM, that's not either.) You would want to go for something like
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
    When you can afford it.

10. KeyStroke

KeyStroke Thread Starter

Thanks a lot BG-0. I really appreciate your help. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice