1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not detecting any hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DIYMAN, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DIYMAN

DIYMAN Thread Starter

I turned on my computer recently and as I watch the normal bootup I see that my hard drive was not listed there. As it would not boot I started trying the cables and switching them with new ones to see if that was a problem but it was not. I tried switching slots on my motherboard with my SATA DVD/DVD DL Burner and the same result, it would detect the DVD drive but not my hard drive. I figured my hard drive probably died since it had been having trouble anyways so I went to the store and bought a new drive. I plugged this back in and made sure all the connections were the same as before then turned it on to install Windows XP. As it booted up again I noticed that it did detect the DVD drive as before but not my 500 GB Hard Drive. I tried switching SATA cables, SATA power cables, with no result. I thought maybe it was a dud so I exchanged that for another hard drive at the store. I took this one home only to find the same thing happening. The DVD drive being detected in both of my SATA ports but not the hard drive.

I switched to using an older PATA DVD drive to see if for some reason this might be a problem and it detected it....but no hard drive.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong that it wouldn't detect this? I would rather not go buy a new motherboard if this isn't the problem since this is a fairly nice one so I figured I'd give your site a go.

2. TekTime

TekTime

What is the make and model of your mobo? It could be the motherboard, since you are experiencing the same issue with Sata and IDE. Have you tried clearing CMOS?

3. DIYMAN

DIYMAN Thread Starter

I will try clearing the CMOS and will get you the make of the motherboard right now. thanks for helping me out

4. DIYMAN

DIYMAN Thread Starter

OK I loaded fail-safe options on the CMOS and that did not work.

I have a GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-SP2 motherboard

5. DIYMAN

DIYMAN Thread Starter

Now that I look at the title I'm sorry I made it slightly misleading. I meant It would not detect any SATA hard drives. I haven't tried pata because i threw those in the trash a long time ago.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP is too old to install to SATA drives without some tweaking. It will not detect them since they are newer than XP.

Installing XP on a SATA drive
    Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
    Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

"Many newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the BIOS and check the 'Sata Operation' setting, change it to 'Raid Autodetect/ATA' if it is not already. Now try to install XP (Verbiage will vary by manufacturer)" - Courtesy of simpswr.

BIOS settings to try:

7. DIYMAN

DIYMAN Thread Starter

Thanks for your post. I will try the install w/o a floppy since I don't have one.

8. DIYMAN

DIYMAN Thread Starter

Ok Sorry I haven't been able to reply with the results but I've been very busy with my work and wasn't able to get to the library.

I used a friends pc and tried to download the drivers for my motherboard which is a - gigabyte m61pme-s2p - at http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3262&dl=1#dl for the SATA RAID/AHCI drivers but when I tried to attach them to the CD the program Nlite could not detect them because I suppose they are in a different format. I have never done this before so I'm at your mercy at what happens here because I have no clue. thanks for all your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice