1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Not detecting new SATA HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LJ75, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Compaq Presario SR1108AN Desktop PC

I current have a IDE 250GB harddrive but it is full I purchased a SATA 1TB harddrive and connect it to the mothgerboard but it is not detected in the bios or when I go to My Computer Disk management. It has BIOS V 3.03 02/09/2004

IDE drive is connected to the blue master the CD ROM is connected to the 2nd IDE on the motherboard the IDE Hard drive is set for cable select the CD ROM is set for master and the SATA drive was in SATA1 of the motherboard. Unable to find anything in the BIOS settings that say anything about SATA have tried both F1 and F11 for BIOS settings. Have tried different variations of IDE hard drive and CD ROM settings ie..cable select, Slave, master and such no luck detecting SATA Hard drive

Have checked HP website there doesnt appear to be any new BIOS upgrades

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Check the bios, you may need to enable or turn on that Sata port you connected the drive to.

F10 gets you into the HP bios.

All IDE drives should be set to CS (cable select) in a HP PC

Try another Sata data cable, be sure data and power cables are fully plugged into the Sata drive.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The motherboard has a VIA chipset, older VIA chipsets have issues with newer SATA II/3GBs hard drives. You may have to use a jumper to limit the drive to SATA I/1.5GBs operation. If you check the documentation that came with the drive it may tell you how to do that, otherwise you will need to go to the manufacturer's website to find the correct jumper setting. Or post the model of the drive you bought.

4. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB SATA Hard Drive
    (HDDSAMSUNG1000GB32MB

5. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

F10 for this HP brings you to the recovery section F1 and F11 bring your to BIOS setting. F11 sometimes has hidden settings that F1 doesn't have.
    Have tried the 1TB SATA in another PC with the same cables and it works fine, detected in BIOS and Disk Management

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Thanks I tried that but the HDD only has the last two pair of pins o the right side of the diagram. I tried putting a jumper on the 1st pair of pins which would be where the diagram you sent was. If that makes any sense. But it didn't make any difference. I put a spare SATA HDD 160GB I had that is limited to 1.5gb/s and it was detected in the BIOS. The pamphlet that came with the HDD says In some rare case SATA 1.5GB/S host can not detect 3.0GB/S and it instructs you to go to www.samsunghdd.com to download software to switch the speed of the drive, but I can not seem to find anything on there.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to do;
    1 Post a screenshot of device manager. It is possible your sata controller driver is not installed.
    2 How do you have the sata mode set in the bios; ahci or native ide?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will give that a try, but first want to do a ghost backup of the HDD just in case it doesn't work. If this doesn't make a difference, do you think a SATA to IDE adaptor would work in convering SATA2 to IDE just dont know if the motherboard would see such a big drive.

11. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

Have tried the ESTool thing but dont see any where to change speed on it. Found some other post in a different forum about being able to do this but it didn't give any directions on where or how to do it. I ran the software that is suppose to change the speed and also used a jumper but didn't make any change, I am assuming that the drive is just to large for the motherboard to see it, since I can use a pinned 160gb SATA and it sees it just fine.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

This drive is to take over the OS HDD as it is full only has 900mb free. I did know they made 1TB IDE, I didn't see any when I was looking

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could always just move some data from the internal to the external to free up room.

Hmm, can't seem to find any 1TB drives in PATA...maybe they don't make them. 500GB is the largest I found still available.

But you could exchange the Samsung for another brand, another make and model may work fine.

15. LJ75

LJ75 Thread Starter

There is hardly any data on it, no photos, muisc etc. Only a few .doc and. excel it is mostly programs and the programs backups, its a friends computer and he has alot of programs on it for their business. Thinking one option will be to just get a 500GB and pray the motherboard sees it and then I can just ghost over to the 500 and then wipe the 250 and that can be an extra storage. Is there any where to check what max size HDD motherboards will take??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice