Pc not displaying anything on monitor

Spence0161

I have bought a new motherboard, PSU and CPU yet my pc fails to display anything on the monitor. When I press the power button it’s turns on with the fans spinning and the LED’s on but no signal to the monitor. Any ideas? Could I be something to do with the HDD or memory

Most likely it's the cable type and port type. Do you have a dedicated GPU? Does your CPU have a GPU on it? With the new mobo; are you using the old RAM or new RAM? What RAM type does the new mobo use....ie DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4?

Spence0161

Most likely it's the cable type and port type. Do you have a dedicated GPU? Does your CPU have a GPU on it? With the new mobo; are you using the old RAM or new RAM? What RAM type does the new mobo use....ie DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4?
I have a dedicated GPU which I’m not using for now. I am using old ram from my previous mobo which is a ddr4. What would you reccomend for the cable type and port type issue?

Spence0161

Why not.

Please list all your hardware components. Then list your monitor brand and what type of ports it has.
With my GPU installed the pc starts for a split second but immediately shuts off. Without it, it’s will stay running yet no display. My specs are
Msi b450 tomahawk max
Amd RYZEN 5 3600
Two 8gb ddr4 memory chips
Integrator 500w PSU
Zotac mini gtx 1060 6gb
Barracuda compute sea glide HDD

It might be your PSU.

Since you have a AMD Ryzen 5 3600.....it doesn't have a onboard GPU. So you have to use the GPU.

Also that mobo may need a BIOS update to use that CPU. You'll have to research that.

That 1060 requires an extra PCIe 6 pin power cable labeled as such from the PSU.

Spence0161

It might be your PSU.

Since you have a AMD Ryzen 5 3600.....it doesn't have a onboard GPU. So you have to use the GPU.

Also that mobo may need a BIOS update to use that CPU. You'll have to research that.

That 1060 requires an extra PCIe 6 pin power cable labeled as such from the PSU.
I don’t think it’s the PSU as it’s relatively new. I doubt it needs a BIOS update as I’ve used another mobo and another cpu but had the same issue. The 6 pin GPU PSU cable is connected also

crjdriver

The 3xxx processors are supported from the release bios on so there is no need to update the bios.
There is a guide at the top of the hardware forum for problem builds. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.

Common errors for new builders;
1 The 8/12pin aux/cpu pw connector is not plugged in
2 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
3 Something is not fully seated ie ram, video card, atx or aux pw connectors, etc
4 Parts not compatible [does not appear to be a problem in this case]
5 Cooler or heatsink fan not installed correctly. More an intel problem than an AMD problem. The amd type coolers are pretty much idiot proof

You are not by chance attempting to reuse a dell, hp, etc type case are you?

Spence0161

The 3xxx processors are supported from the release bios on so there is no need to update the bios.
There is a guide at the top of the hardware forum for problem builds. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.

Common errors for new builders;
1 The 8/12pin aux/cpu pw connector is not plugged in
2 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
3 Something is not fully seated ie ram, video card, atx or aux pw connectors, etc
4 Parts not compatible [does not appear to be a problem in this case]
5 Cooler or heatsink fan not installed correctly. More an intel problem than an AMD problem. The amd type coolers are pretty much idiot proof

You are not by chance attempting to reuse a dell, hp, etc type case are you?
I believe it’s due to my fried GPU, thank you 👍🏼

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online