1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Not Picking Up CD Drive [D:\]

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by redorb, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redorb

redorb Thread Starter

I am having a problem with my PC and would appreciate your help.
    My computer is not detecting my CD Drive [D:\]. [In Explorer there is a A:\ Drive and a C:\ Drive but no D:\ Drive.]
    On booting up the BIOS is picking up the CD Drive.

MY PC is an IBM Aptiva 2199-100 with AMD K6-2/450Mhz CPU with 64Mb RAM.
    I'm running Windows 98 and I'm using PC-cillan 2002 as my anti-virus program.
    I've run a virus check and my PC is clean.
    Not that this should be the problem, but I'm also running Internet Explorer 6 & Outlook Express 6, Office 97, etc.

Interestingly my son's PC [AMD 1600+ with 256 DDR RAM running Windows XP and also using PC-cillan] last week was also not detecting his CD Drive [D:\] & his CD RW Burner [E:\]. So when my PC started playing up we though it was a virus but again PC-cillan said it was clear. He finally resolved his problem [re-installed Windows XP] and has now reformatted his PC & is reloading everything. I want to avoid this.

I also have one minor problem that relates to PC-Cillan [and I'm told it also applied to Nortons].
    For some unknown reason, from time to time, the mail server is reset by the Anti Virus Program and I have to reset my account details with the my ISP. [I'm using a dial up modem]. My ISP can't help - they say its the anti-virus that causes it & I have to reset my account details.

Thanking you in anticipation that you can assist.
    A reply via post AND Email would be appreciated.

Morris Broder
    Melbourne, Australia
    Email: [email protected]
    :(

2. Curly

Curly

3. southerngq

southerngq

Try this,

Go to Device manager, then right click on Hard disk controllers,
    then Properties then Settings.

Look for Dual IDE channel settings drop down.
    Make sure it is set to default.
    If it is set to "both IDE channels enabled, it will not recognize your cd-rom drive.

Good luck

4. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

ok when u have done t above try uninstalling t antivirus software this is is the main problem in my opinion

5. redorb

redorb Thread Starter

Thanks Guys for your responses - much appreciated.

I've just tried to follow your instructions Southernqq but I can't seem to follow them. Are they for Windows XP?
    I'm using Windows 98 which does not have some of your suggested steps. Any ideas what I should do with Win 98?

You may be right that its PC-cillan that is casuing the problem.
    I may change to another one, such as Inoculate.

Thanks Again

6. bassetman

bassetman Moderator - Gone but never forgotten

I tried to follow directions too (for educational purposes) and I couldn't get them to work either. :(

7. southerngq

southerngq

To all who are working this thread.
    The directions I gave in the earlier post are for Win 98SE.
    I will list them again in case I forgot a step here:

Right click My Computer
    Select Properties
    Open the Device Manager tab
    Select the Hard Disk Controller line
    Right click Master IDE controller
    Select Properties
    Select the settings tab
    Look for the drop down menu titled, Dual IDE Channel Settings
    Make sure it is set to Default
    Click OK and reboot

8. bassetman

bassetman Moderator - Gone but never forgotten

Thanks, I have 98 SE and the Line below is where I can't follow

I will list them again in case I forgot a step here:

Right click My Computer
    Select Properties
    Open the Device Manager tab
    Select the Hard Disk Controller line
    Right click Master IDE controller Mine says Primary at this stage, not "Master" I right clicked it anyway.

Select Properties Did that
    Select the settings tab I show no settings tab
    Look for the drop down menu titled, Dual IDE Channel Settings I show no drop down menu
    Make sure it is set to Default Doesn't show on mine
    Click OK and reboot

Same experience for you redorb?

9. redorb

redorb Thread Starter

Bassetman - Ditto.
    My Win98 is like yours - different tabs.

10. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

does the drive get picked up bios when you start up? if it doesnt get detected there then it definately wont work anywhere else :(

11. phillyphil

phillyphil

Stating perhaps the obvious, but I've found that with Win 98 (no matter what version), many "problems" can be fixed by a simple overlay install. By that, I mean an install of Windows that does NOT format your drive, only wallpapers the cracks and problems it finds, and leaves all of your data intact. You can do this by running setup.exe from the Win98 folder of your Windows CD, or wherever your Win98 folder is located on your hard drive. Almost bet the farm that this will fix your issue.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'd bet the farm that would play havoc with the IE 6 ;)

Does the cdrom drive work in dos?

13. phillyphil

phillyphil

Don't think an overlay install would affect IE6; it's been my experience that all Windows Update files, including whatever version of IE was previously installed, will not be affected by an overlay install of Win 98.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try it and get back to me ;)

and it's an overinstall, not overlay ;)

15. njm

njm

For what it is worth....I found this thread last night while looking for a reason why my win98SE did not recognize a newer 32x CDROM that I installed as the Master on the Secondary, to a Slave HP CDRW (the previous CDROM was a 24x in the same location and all was well, then). When rebooted, Windows did not recognize anything on the Secondary. DOS did, and so did Mandrake Linux 8.1......I then moved it (the 32x CDROM) to the Master position and only piece of hardware on the primary (my HDD is Master on the Primary of an ATA/100 PCI adapter card). Still Windows did not find it at all....Well, where has it not been? I placed the original 24X back in it's Master position, and placed the unrecognized 32X as Master on the Secondary on the card and rebooted.....BINGO!!! There it was...... Go figure.....
    Also the sequence that Southernqq suggested is the proper one for the PCI adaptor card, but the tab ‘settings' does not exist for the Primary and Secondary IDE controller on the MOBO.
    Thanks, Southernqq for pointing me in that direction, even if I don't understand why....
    Maybe some of this will help ID the specific problem.....:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116506