1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc not reading hard drive or cdrom..no partitions

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by eyecrashed, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyecrashed

eyecrashed Thread Starter

I need help recovering from a major disaster.
    What began with a virus (bugbear) ended (thru a series of blunders) with my old compaq presario 4880 being inoperable.
    I tried to run the quick restore disk but it failed halfway thru the format sequence, leaving my system destroyed.

I deleted my partitions with FDISK in the DOS mode but I can't get FDISK to reinstall new partitions. It just tells me that there are no partitions to delete.
    My OS is W98 and it has be upgraded to SE.
    I can boot from an emergency boot disk but I only get an A prompt now and typing in other drive letters tells me they are invalid drive letters.

My pc is not reading my hard drive (C) or my CDROM
    when I boot up using the quick restore recovery CD, it comes up initially but then tells me to insert the CD although I have it in the drive already.
    I'm stumped!
    Sherry

2. bandit429

bandit429

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

Below is a link to compac's website,,you need to download the personal computer diagnostics and you will have to follow instructions at the site,, if you get stuck try and be exact and I'll do my best to help.

Personal Computer Diagnostics
    Supported Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 95

Unpacks the files needed to create a bootable Compaq Personal Computer Diagnostics diskette, which supports currently shipping Deskpro and Presario ... Click here for the link

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice