1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not recognises network adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maracles, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just moved my computer from one room to another and made no other changes, however wheras before it was recognizing my network card ( Realtek RT8139) it no longer does.

I have tried to find the correct driver in both the XP driver list (didn't work) and the Realtek website (downloaded file but there was no .exe so didnt know what to do) and the card still doesnt show up, and nor does it connect to the internet when the thernet cable is plugged in.

On top of that I have dowloaded ASTRA 32 and done a system configuration check, this shows the device being there however says driver status - 'The device failed to start' (this could be because i installed dodgy driver from driver list in xp, although it showed up with ASTRA prior to doing that)

Any help?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a downloaded driver, unzip it and right-click the device in Device Manager. Update and keep making the manual choices untill you get the chance to specify the location of the driver. Point it to the inf file in that folder.

3. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

tried that unfortunately, once I select the .inf file it does nothing, I have r-clicked the inf file and clicked install also, this didnt work. any other suggestions?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Physically moving a PC case cause the case to "flex" a little, this has the unwanted effect of lifting PCI cards partially oit of the socket.

Open the case and reseat all cards.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

...especially if the card does not appear in Device Manager. If it still doesn't look in BIOS and be sure it is enabled. I realize that it is unlikely that the setting changed, but "flexing" can momentarily break the battery connection, too. And check the time setting, too.

6. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I have however tried these options. The card actually appears to be on board, the socket is directly on the motherboard rather than pci and there are no cards in the pci slots other than a Nvidia 7300 gfx card.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does it appear in Device Manager? Is it enabled in BIOS?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice