1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not recognizing new heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryanw, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanw

ryanw Thread Starter

Hi, first off, thanks for any help.

I have an HP Pavilion a6407c PC with Windows Vista 32 bit that has been crashing a lot randomly. I'm fairly certain that the problem is an overheating motherboard. My friend gave me an old heatsink of his that is better than the stock model, but when I try to connect it and boot up, my computer says that there is a CPU Fan Failure and it is shutting itself down, or it shuts down before it even gets that far. However, the fan on the heatsink is definitely spinning before it shuts down, so I'm think the CPU just isn't recognizing it. I've read on the HP help pages that you can disable this self shutdown in the BIOS, but that is not an option in mine. The new heatsink is an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64.

I've also read a suggestion that I keep the stock heatsink plugged in and to just plug in the new fan in addition, but I only see one 3 pin connector on my motherboard.

Any ideas?

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I take it the new CPU fan is using the same 3 pin connector as the original fan, as you say there is only one conenctor?

Also, does the new fan have 3 wires or 2? If it only has 2 then it is probably working fine but without the 3rd wire the system just thinks there is no fan connected, not sure how you would get around that if, as you say, there is no way to disable the feature. I would of thought there would be a BIOS option to disable it.

Also, when you put the new heatsink on did you clean off all the old thermal paste / pad from the CPU? If you didn't clean it off properly you may not have a good seal between the heatsink and CPU which will likely cause overheating problems, that will also cause the machine to shutdown quickly.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That cooler uses a 4pin connector and uses PWM. Your motherboard is most likely not compatible with PWM.

Either reinstall the original hsf with new thermal compound OR find a hsf that uses the correct wiring for your board.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice