1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not responding

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dawn gates, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawn gates

dawn gates Thread Starter

Hi, Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do about a PC that constanly does not respond. It is doing all sorts of silly and annoying things. It freezes, it does not repsond and lots of times, when I click on a link or page up and that sort of thing, nothing happens, it also closes the program, or sometimes the IE down. I have taken my PC back to factory settings twice now and still it is no better. I only have the softwear programs on it that I really need and all these programs worked fine before. Something similar happened a couple of years back and I ended having the PC engineer come in and he put me more memory on it and told me it would be fine and it has been until now. I do have an awful lot of files on it but most of them are on the D drive and there is still some space on them so they are not completely full. Do I need to get even more memory? I hope not as it costs and I dont have the cash. I do have an external drive that I could transfer some files onto.

Any suggestions as to what I could do myself to help it work better, would really be appreciated.

I am using Windows Vista Home Basic

frankiesgirl1

2. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
    Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

3. dawn gates

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+, x64 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2302 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1250, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 71453 MB, Free - 29404 MB; D: Total - 71178 MB, Free - 12148 MB; L: Total - 152588 MB, Free - 99889 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, F690GVM
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
    Aspire M1100

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

The Acer Aspire M1100 desktop has 4 slots and supports a maximum of 4 GB of DDR2 RAM.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/aspirem1100/aspirem1100sp2.shtml

Your specs is showing 2302 MB, so I'm guessing it currently has 2560 MB(2.5 GB) or 3172 MB(3 GB).

Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit will run fine on that amount, unless you're using programs or doing computing functions that require a lot of RAM.

-------------------------------------------------------

If you've reverted that desktop back to its original factory twice and is still having the same issues, it's my guess it's a combination of what you have installed and how you're using it.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. dawn gates

Hello,

Thanks for the help. I am not quite sure what you mean when you say it is how I am using it. I don't really know what I should not be doing or what I should not have installed as I only have softwear on it that I have used before and not had any problems with.

Thanks

Dawn

6. flavallee

Are you using any registry "cleaner/fixer" type programs in that computer?

----------------------------------------------------------

7. dawn gates

Hello

None, I have it set to defrag every week and I just clean it (remove temporary files, ect) from the options menu.

8. flavallee

Defragging the hard drive more than once a month usually isn't needed, and frequent defragging puts wear and stress on it.

------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065530