Solved Pc not showing on network

PrancerTran

i have multiple pcs on a network using windows 10
2 pcs are on wired line and the other two are connected via wifi
they are all set to a private connection
till a few days back they were showing in the network section of all pcs
now all of a sudden they have stopped showing

they are all set to turn on sharing and network discovery but still an issue

Does the network icon in the systray of all 4 computers all show up as connected?
Does hovering above the network icon say network, internet access ?
Are those 4 pc's using Windows Firewall default configuration?
Are all 4 pc's receiving an networkable ip address that is part of the network? Type ipconfig to find out.

Last edited:

PrancerTran

Does the network icon in the systray of all 4 computers all show up as connected? yes
Does hovering above the network icon say network, internet access ? yes
Are those 4 pc's using Windows Firewall default configuration? yes
Are all 4 pc's receiving an networkable ip address that is part of the network? Type ipconfig to find out. yes

now they are all showing on the network all of a sudden today
will update if the problem occurs again

PrancerTran

now my printer on the network is not connecting
the printer is showing on the network and was working uptil now
now it has stopped connecting and showing the error - windows cannot connect to the printer
its an epson l3110 printer
facing this issue from today

all sharing and everything is enabled
without doing anything today the printer is unable to connect
the printer is showing on the network

crjdriver

There was a recent windows update that screwed up network printers. You might uninstall the most recent updates; I think this one was late Sept.
Have rebooted your router lately? If not, I would do so. Generally you can reboot the router from the setup page and not have to pull the pw connection. Note a reboot is NOT a reset of the router [which is a very different thing]

PrancerTran

yes router reboots everyday. yesterday the printer was working fine and today it isnt.
so i am not sure it was about any update..

PrancerTran

Why? Is there a problem with it?

Routers are generally only rebooted monthly.
https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/when-to-reboot-router
its turned off in the night when not in use.. soo..

There was a more recent update (last Tuesday) that messed with printers again:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-10-kb5006670-update-breaks-network-printing/
still dont see any update from MS resolving this issue.. so is there a workaround?

Last edited:

crjdriver

What have you tried? Is there a firmware update for your router? How old is this router; they do not last forever? I generally use a router for 5yr then toss it.

PrancerTran

What have you tried? Is there a firmware update for your router? How old is this router; they do not last forever? I generally use a router for 5yr then toss it.
the router is not the problem. the pcs are visible on the network now.
the printer not getting connected on the network is the problem. already mentioned it.

crjdriver

So what test did you do to find out the router is not the problem? How exactly is the printer connected to the network ie rj45 connection direct to the router, connected through a switch, usb to the router, what?
If you want help, answer the questions.

PrancerTran

till now i was going to the network in my pc and selecting the computer and then the printer and was able to use it on computers as needed.
now that is not happening and getting an error that cannot connect to the printer
i have not done any other test on the router other than the above. let me know if i need to do any because i need to resolve this printer issue

the printer is connected to 1 pc
which is connected to the router with rj45 connection
other pcs are connected via cable/wifi, to the router, on the same network

crjdriver

the printer is connected to 1 pc
OK, this is not a network printer, it is a shared printer. As a test, connect the printer to another system. Share the printer and see if it shows up. IMO this is the worst way to network a printer. A much better way is to connect the printer to the router and not to the PC. Some routers have a usb port for just this task OR if your printer has a rj45 connector, you can just connect to a router port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online