1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not Starting Up Correctly

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Diddler, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

Good morning/afternoon/evening depending on your time zone.

I have a problem at present that has me baffled.

I recently took the cover off the back of my Dell Dimension PC (ME OS) to add extra RAM, however having never done this before I decided to remove the additional RAM and leave to a professional to look at it. However when I put back the original RAM and restarted my PC, it was coming on but the light at the front was not, the smaller light was flickering away as the PC was booting but the main power light on the power button was not working also the monitor is not coming on either and it is not beeping either, just saying there is no signal. I was extremely careful not to damage anything whilst mucking about with the RAM and ensured I was grounded so this is not the problem...

So far I have restored the BIOS to factory settings (took out the battery) but no joy either...the monitor is working because I have an older PC that I checked it out with.

I have also check all of the connections and ensure that everrything is where it should be and nothing is loose...still no joy

Any help is greatly appreciated.(y)

:( :confused:

2. scubasteveae

scubasteveae

Have you checked to make sure the memory is seated correctly and tight? Adding the new ram is just as hard as putting back in the old ram.... No need for a professional for a memory upgrade if you already grasped the taking in and out of memory. Just be sure that when you put the memory into the socket that it clicks in on boths sides. Also how many sticks were in the pc? And how many sockets are there for ram?

3. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

Yes, it clicked both sides, no issues there, sorry when I say a pro its a guy I know who I have got workfor in the the past and he is returning the favour i.e. giving me more RAM and a new Graphics Card.

The is only 1 stick of RAM - 128k:eek: and I was putting in an additional 128k.

There is 2 RAM sockets...

Thanks for the reply...any ideas?

4. scubasteveae

scubasteveae

Try taking out the current stick of ram, and putting in the new stick in its place. This should tell you wether or not the stick or ram has gone bad..

5. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

If you read the title of the thread you will see what the problem is with that....

I can't turn it on:(

Just wont start up for me to see anything just a blank monitor and a PC making noise but not working:confused:

6. scubasteveae

scubasteveae

No but u said in your first post that you just left the old ram in the slot and removed the new ram....Why i dont know. But if you are back to your original configuration, remove the original ram stick and replace it with the new one and try to boot it up...

7. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

Thanks again,

Sorry, didnt realise it was unclear....to date I have tried every possible combination with the RAM but to no avail, I have tried both sockets both sticks everything....but still nothing...(n)

8. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

Anyone help with this?

9. ETS

ETS

You said your monitor is not working but does indicate there is no signal, right?

If that's the case then your problem is most likely with the video card. Try reseating it again, or try a different slot.

10. smeegle

smeegle

Have you checked the power cord connection to the monitor? Even if something is wrong with the monitor the orange light should come on if it is getting any type of power.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice