1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not starting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trekguy, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

Usually I leave the PC on all the time... the power had went out during the night sometime... and I was turning it on one morning. I hit the power button, and the power supply turned on, the keyboard lights came on, the optical mouse lit up, the CD drive light came on (and stayed on), but the monitor never came out of power-saver mode. When I turned the monitor off, then on again, it said "no signal", and went back to power-saver mode.

The hard drive had been making some noise as of late, so I assumed that was the problem. I had a new hard drive on hand, and installed it.

I don't have an XP disk to reinstall Windows, so I wanted to boot it with an Ubuntu LiveCD...but it won't do anything. Then, I thought.... shouldn't the bios thingy come up on screen, even if there is a bad hard drive... or even no hard drive?????

So, processor? Video card? I'm lost. Help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check the graphics card. If PCI, make sure it didn't come out of the front of its slot.

3. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

Graphics card is secure.

Just powered it up again, and this it what happens... power supply comes on...CD light comes and stays on.... hard drive light comes on and stays on.

It does this with or without the Ubuntu LiveCD.

Shouldn't it at least do the POST thing, if the MB is good??

And another interesting thing... I can't power it down by holding the power button down.... I have to switch it off on the back of the box. ?????

4. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

AMD Sempron... 1.2ghz?
    M848A V2.1
    1536 mb ram
    ATI Radeon Force RV6DE-NA3
    PS-Austin DR-B300ATX
    CD
    DVD-RW

If it doesn't do the POST thing... is the MB shot? Or processor? Or both?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice