1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not starting with SATA hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kishore_anand, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kishore_anand

kishore_anand Thread Starter

Dear all,

My desktop PC has, ASUS motherboard and Intel dual core processor.

If I connect the SATA hdd to the motherboard using the sata cable and give power through the power cable, the led on the motherboard glows, processor fan spins for a second and nothing happens further.

I disconnect the SATA HDD. Then connect an IDE ATA drive as slave to the master CD-ROM drive using IDE cable, everything works fine. I can install XP-SP2 on the IDE ATA drive. In this configuration if I connect the SATA drive the problem stated above appears. The problem appears ony when I connect the power cable to the SATA drive. Changing the SATA drive does not help, I have done that. The power cable to SATA HD drive comes from a y-connector, one branch of which goes ATA IDE drive. I guess it gives appropriate voltages to SATA HD drive as ATA IDE works without any problem.

I shall be grateful to you if you would kindly digonise the problem.

2. DELLDOCTOS

DELLDOCTOS

Hi,

Check whether the SATA HDD is detecting the BIOS, If yes, Change the boot sequence and try to install the OS, If no, check whether the SATA HDD is working in any other system.

3. kishore_anand

kishore_anand Thread Starter

No ! The PC just does not start, no question of going to BIOS.

I did not check the SATA drive in other PC if it is ok, but, I checked in my PC with two SATA hard drives (one of those is a brand new one) , the problem remains. I hope, both the SATA drives to be defective at the same time is remote.

4. DELLDOCTOS

DELLDOCTOS

HI
    please give me the motherboard model number, and also abt the sata HDD model number, have u checked whether the motherboard is compitable for the sata connection ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice