1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not turning on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seiken, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seiken

Seiken Thread Starter

My sincere apogoly for (probably) posting this in the wrong section (if I did atleast).

I was playing a normal game of League of Legends a day or 4 ago with my friend on Skype, when suddenly my monitor's screen turned black saying there was no signal, my keyboard and mouse stopped giving light and there was no sound anymore either. My PC was still on (the light coming from my power button was still working), but I couldn't turn down my pc through the power button, so I forced it to shut down by pressing on the O button from the power supply. I pressed the button back to I, tried to turn my PC on again and nothing happend. There was literally no sign of life : The blue light that's supposed to come from my power button didn't work, I didn't hear any fan working, the PC does nothing at all. It's not making any beep sounds whatsoever.

So I was thinking of what the problem might have been. I thought it would've either been my motherboard that died on me or my power supply. I was testing if my power supply died by using a paper clip that was connected to the green and black wire. I did hear a boot sound but I didn't see any fan spin around. Is this a sign of a faulty power supply unit or could it still be my motherboard?

Computer specs :
    RAM : Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x 4GIG
    Processor : Intel I5 4460 / 3.2 Ghz
    Cooler : Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2
    Case : Cooler Master N300
    HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    Motherboard : MSI H81M-E35
    Videocard : MSI R9 280 Gaming 3G Graphics Card
    PSU : Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Seiken.

Edit : I don't have a spare PSU unfortunately.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Well the only way to really tell is by using a dedicated PSU tester or another PSU which is known to be in good working order.
    You can remove your PSU and take it to the local pc repairman, chances are they might do the testing for free.
    However keep your finger crossed, because sometimes when a PSU goes bad, it can take the mobo with it.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Power Supply testers would only be accurate if they test the Power Supply under load. The best test is to Jump in a "Known Good Power Supply" Known good means a power supply that is know to power up a working system. I could very well be that the Power Supply is under powered for the system as well. Seasonic is a quality Brand.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice