PC not working after I brought it to my mother's house

kumobl

so i just came to my moms house and i decided to bring my pc and u know i got here and started setting it up, i left it on the carpet while i grabbed my other stuff from the car ,i left it there for an hour or 2 and well i started to plug everything in the outlet and it did make a shock when i connected it and so did the display cable and well i turned it on and everything is on but my gpu fans i have a xfx 5700xt nd the first few boots i got only red and organge lights on my b450f asus rog strix motherboard but i messed with the ram and it became white and now idk i get no usb power to my keyboard and mouse from my mother board also no display on the monitor pls help

Last edited:

crjdriver

When you post, please use proper grammar and punctuation. Your post is just about unreadable. See this section of the forum rules.
This would also include refraining from using what's commonly referred to as "chat/text speak" (typing "u" instead of "you" or "r" instead of "are", for example) as this can lead to misinterpretation and misunderstanding. Furthermore, to make posts easier to read and understand, please use proper punctuation and capitalization, separate large blocks of text into several smaller paragraphs, limit the use of abbreviations and acronyms as many users are not familiar with them (when in doubt, spell it out) and do not use excessive formatting or type your message in all capital letters as this is considered shouting on the internet.

crjdriver

i left it on the carpet
Very possible you caused ESD when you felt or heard the arc. It is also possible you knocked something loose when you moved the system. Do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Hit the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply
3 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
4 Remove any add-in cards ie sound, raid, etc. Pull your video card out and reinstall. Be sure it is fully seated in the slot. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to pull the card. Do not just yank it out; you will break something. Be sure the card is fully seated in the slot
5 Reseat both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
6 Pull the ram out and blow out the slots with a can of air. Reinstall ram and be sure it is fully seated in the slot or slots
7 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC for a minimum of 10 seconds. Read your motherboard manual as to the location of the clear pins
8 Replace the pw cord and attempt to pw ON. If it works, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST in the above config, you need to swap parts with known good units; ie motherboard, pw supply, ram, etc

Last edited:

kumobl

Very possible you caused ESD when you felt or heard the arc. It is also possible you knocked something loose when you moved the system. Do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Hit the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply
3 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
4 Remove any add-in cards ie sound, raid, etc. Pull your video card out and reinstall. Be sure it is fully seated in the slot. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to pull the card. Do not just yank it out; you will break something. Be sure the card is fully seated in the slot
5 Reseat both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
6 Pull the ram out and blow out the slots with a can of air. Reinstall ram and be sure it is fully seated in the slot or slots
7 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC for a minimum of 10 seconds. Read your motherboard manual as to the location of the clear pins
8 Replace the pw cord and attempt to pw ON. If it works, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST in the above config, you need to swap parts with known good units; ie motherboard, pw supply, ram, etc
if none of that works,would u think its the motherboard?since there is no output on power for usb ports

crjdriver

Sure it is possible however it is also possible you fried the pw supply. The only way you are going to find out is to test in a systematic manner; replacing one part at a time.
I would start with a test pw supply since that is the easiest part to swap. You do not even have to fully install the test unit. Simply connect atx, aux/cpu, and video pw. Hit the ON button and see if the motherboard will POST.

Last edited:

kumobl

Sure it is possible however it is also possible you fried the pw supply. The only way you are going to find out is to test in a systematic manner; replacing one part at a time.
I would start with a test pw supply since that is the easiest part to swap. You do not even have to fully install the test unit. Simply connect atx, aux/cpu, and video pw. Hit the ON button and see if the motherboard will POST.
but i do get power and everything turns on except for display and usb ports.so can it still be the pw?

crjdriver

It can be a lot of things however unless you test, you will not know. Up to you; either randomly replace parts until you find the problem or test as outlined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.