1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC not working at home, but working at PC Store

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InAbsentia, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Thread Starter

Hi!

So, I recently bought a new gaming pc. The thing is, when they tried the pc at the store, everything worked well. It passed 3DMark with flying colours and it seemed ok.

Now the thing is, the pc reboots itself when I'm using it at home gaming or anything intensive. So far it lasted without rebooting for 29 min playing FFXIV, 27 for AC3 and more than 40 for LoL. I've run the Prime95 test (in all modes) and it rarely lasts more than 4-5 minutes before it restarts itself. When that happens, there's no BSOD, it just goes completely off, and restarts. No warning. Nada. Sometimes it restarts itself 3-4 (even 7 times) in a row. I ran some memtest to check my memory but they both were good.

I haven't overclocked anything. I brought it to the shop already like 3-4 times but they cannot reproduce the error because it won't restart itself there, I've been personally at the shop today gaming there and running tests and it never restarted. Right now, it's been there for 6 hours running Prime95 without crashes.

At the beginning I thought that maybe my power strip was broken or something, but then I tried the new pc in my bro's bedroom with his power strip and the same happened. And then I tried it with the PSU plugged directly into the wall and everything else to the power strip and the same happened.

I'm completely lost on what to do so any help will be welcomed.

My set up:

GPU : GTX 970
    CPU : i5 4690 3.5ghz
    PSU : Xilence Redwing R3 Modular 1000W
    MoBo: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    CPU freezer: Arctic Freezer 13
    All drivers up to date.

Thanks for your time

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

what please is everything else

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What are your temps? Since this is a gigabyte board, install easytune from the support page. Once you have easytune installed, open it and select the hw tab. Now run prime95 and monitor your temps.
    Here is a link to the support page for that mb;
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4955#ov

Note I think you have to install the app center then easytune.

4. InAbsentia

Everything else means the screen and the speakers.

I haven't used that one, I'll try later just in case but with Aida64 my temps didnt go over 65º-67º (149F-152F) while running Prime95 on heat mode. They were a bit lower at the shop.

5. Macboatmaster

Three possible but I have to admit - rather a slim chance of it being any of these

1. If that PSU is bottom mounted in the case, what sort of surface is the computer stood on at home, as against testing in the shop

There is a very slight possibility I think, that if it is on deep pile carpet at home the airflow into the PSU could be insufficient

2. Is the computer when used at home in some form of cabinet or placed in a corner - again airflow could be the problem

3. Is the monitor the same monitor used in the shop when tested

IMHO you need to examine closely the differences between the setup in the shop and that at your house.

6. InAbsentia

1 - The PSU is bottom mounted and the fan looks downside. The surface is wood, I never keep it on a carpet. At the shop it was standing (closed) in a wood table too.
    2 - Not cabinet, also I actually tried to game with the case open and the same thing happened (reboot) because at the beginning I thought it could be the PSU overheating.
    3 - No it's not the same monitor, but at home I tried it with my brother's monitor, and his keybaord and mouse and speakers (the only thing that was the same, it was my pc) and it still failed.

The ONLY difference between my house and the shop is that the temperature there is slightly colder and the electrical installation.

7. Macboatmaster

and the electrical installation - is what please

8. InAbsentia

Um, I truly have no idea. I know my house's electrical installation supports up to ...4000W? I am no electrician so I'm pretty lost on that topic...

9. Macboatmaster

OK I thought you were going to put something else in and had missed it off after the

"and the electrical installation"

Is your house on a standard electrical supply from a utility company or are you talking about some sort of home generator supply

If possible take YOUR monitor and if not the same - your keyboard and mouse to the shop and try that setup - there

At home are you connected hard wired or wireless - if wireless and you can connect hard wired try that

Ascertain if the computer still shuts down if not connected but running Prime

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice