Pc on but no monitor output, HELP?!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HelpMePlease22

Hi everyone, so I'm having a problem with my self built PC. The PC turns on and the monitor and about 30 seconds to about 2 minutes in, the monitor cuts but the PC is still running. So what I do is just turn it off and and on again but I came across the same problem over and over again. My specs (don't laugh)

Amd radeon hd6450
Samsung 4gb ram
Core i3-2130
500w PSU from trendtech
Apple cinema display

Things I've tried to fix it:
Reconnect the cable
Clean ram, CPU and GPU
Cleaned all slots
Reassembled the PC
Changed the plug
Used another monitor and PSU
Resinstalled everything

I'm beginning to feel hopeless about this building. Any help please.

Thanks,
Oscar

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG

Which of the 3 video connections are you using?

You said you tried a different monitor and had the same problem, so it's obviously not the monitor.

Have you tried a different graphic card and/or the motherboard's integrated video port?
The problem may be with that AMD graphic card.

---------------------------------------------------------------

HelpMePlease22

Hi, for the first cable I tried was dvi on the card, then VGA on the motherboard. The only other card is the igpu. It works but it only takes vga, my monitor only takes vga though. Now im not what you call rich, but is there a way to fix this card diy at no cost, assuming it is the card. I would like to use the card over the igpu.

Thanks
Oscar

View attachment 260719

Which of the 3 video connections are you using?

You said you tried a different monitor and had the same problem, so it's obviously not the monitor.

Have you tried a different graphic card and/or the motherboard's integrated video port?
The problem may be with that AMD graphic card.

---------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

It is a little hard to follow this thread. Are you saying the system does in fact work correctly with the onchip video? Have you tried the card in another [known working] system?
but is there a way to fix this card diy at no cost
Video cards [like just about anything else] can be repaired however the cost would far exceed the value of the card. Unless you are highly skilled with a solder gun/iron AND you have a lot of test equipment, you would need to have a shop do the repair. With shop labor at $80 or so per hour, it is not cost effective.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG

That's a pretty weak graphic card and not much better than the integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 graphic device in your computer.

You might consider replacing it with a better-performing low-power model.

-------------------------------------------------------------

HelpMePlease22

Let me just start by saying I'm an idiot... I had installed a "wonder plug" to protect my computer from power failures and it seems that was the problem... Thank you to everyone who helped me on this thread
It is a little hard to follow this thread. Are you saying the system does in fact work correctly with the onchip video? Have you tried the card in another [known working] system?

Video cards [like just about anything else] can be repaired however the cost would far exceed the value of the card. Unless you are highly skilled with a solder gun/iron AND you have a lot of test equipment, you would need to have a shop do the repair. With shop labor at $80 or so per hour, it is not cost effective.
Just

HelpMePlease22

Nevermind I am still having this problem

Let me just start by saying I'm an idiot... I had installed a "wonder plug" to protect my computer from power failures and it seems that was the problem... Thank you to everyone who helped me on this thread

Just

HelpMePlease22

The igpu does work. I have tried the card in another system, it worked. The reason I do not want to use the igpu is because my monitor doesn't support it. The cable is built into the monitor, I cannot change it and also my card is much more powerful and can load 1080p much quicker and play modern games at low settings

crjdriver

If the card works in another system, then most likely your very low end pw supply is not up to pw the video card. You can swap in a known good pw supply to test/verify this. Note you do not have to fully install the test unit; simply connect atx, aux pw, and video pw [which I doubt your card uses] then hit the ON button. If the system completes POST, you know your pw supply is the cause of your problem.

crjdriver

BTW your video card is only marginally better than the onboard or onchip video. I would not expect much of an improvement using that video card over the onchip video.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online