pc on hibernate ruining network for others...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

illegible86

Hi I'm new =D

to jump right to my problem though, I live in a house with two other people sharing internet among the three of us. It's never been a problem until my most recent house mate moved in however, as my pings in all my games has risen by about 100-250(making it around 150 to 300 which is pretty much unplayable in a first person shooter). I've tested a few things, and found out the culprit is in fact my new room mate, however when I asked him about it he said his computer was on hibernate. I'm not certain I believe him but it's all I have to go with now. I disabled his internet via my router and my pings instantly dropped to normal levels.

I've looked at several options and tried them out. I'm forwarding all the ports needed for my games to my pc, I have QOS set up so he is lowest priority and I am the highest, and it has no effect. He's not computer illiterate or anything so I can't hop on his computer and just put a program on it to limit bandwidth or prevent it from going into hibernate. Right now the only option I have is just disabling him through the router to be able to play anything online.

The only thing I really know about his pc right now is that he's running windows vista 32 bit. I can try to get more info from him if necessary(although I can't make any promises) but I was hoping that maybe someone knew if this was a common problem with vista.

Another thing to note is that I know he runs utorrent often, now whenever I have problems with lag and ask him he'll show me that he's downloading very slowly and uploading even slower than he's downloading. I've confirmed that his bandwidth on utorrent is limited properly and his maximum connections aren't too high. In fact my settings on utorrent are much higher than his and I can run mine without any problem during games(with limited settings of course). I did turn off utorrent while I was testing pings and trying to find out who was causing the problem, so I know it isn't my computer.

My router is a linksys WRT54GS2

I can't think of any other info that might help, but if you ask I'll try to provide it as quickly as possible.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online