1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC on/off button not doing anything (sometimes)...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the_slayer, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the_slayer

the_slayer Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just setup the Antec900 and it seems to run fine. However occasinally i have had the issue where it doesnt respond to me pressing the power button? and i need to press it a few times to get it to turn on...

seems to be more successful if i hold it down for a bit longer... as apposed to a quick press

UPDATE*** (emailed antec support)

contacted antec support and they suggested that it could be the PSU and to try another one... i dont see how the PSU would have started playing up within 1 week of having my perfectly fine system in the antec case...?

i also would have thought that if it were issues with the PSU then i would be seeing weird things while the PC is running...?

2. BG-0

BG-0

First, check that your wiring from the front of the case to the motherboard is firmly in place. (Meaning the pwr switch wire of course, duh)

3. the_slayer

already checked that... pulled them out and reseated them... i am using the asus q-connect block... but as mentioned i was using this in my last system and had no problems with it and starting.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try using the restart switch as the power switch by swapping the leads over at the Mboard, this should show if the problem is with the actual power switch.

5. nate93

nate93

it could be the wiring, your outlet, your psu, or maybe mobo. your wireing could be faulty, same wiht oyur outlet or psu or your mobo lol. also, you may be running to many external items, like speakers, mikes, and all usb/firewire/esata drives which is taking up alot of power

6. the_slayer

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

The power on switch is a normally open switch that in most instances either works or it doesn't work. It is so simple there are seldom any problems with normally open switches.

Check all the connections on the main power and +12v connectors for a loose pin or a pin that shows signs of arcing especially the pin where the green wire in the harness connects.

If you have a molex pin extractor, extract the green wire and check the crimp on the pin.

8. the_slayer

i just switched the power and reset... so far it has started on the first press... the reset button seems alot more solid whereas the power button on my case seems jiggly...

i wanted to see if i get the same issue now when pressing the (old) power button to try and do a reset... how can i do a few resets without stuffing up anything on my pc?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice