1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[pc Only] Must Have Games!!! [pc Only]

Discussion in 'Games' started by Servant of Eru, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

[PC ONLY] I've already got Doom 3, Half Life 2, JK3: Jedi Academy, KotoR, and Tron 2.0 on my list. I'm also thinking about getting the Half Life Platinum Collector's Edition, Red Faction 1&2, Splinter Cell, Spiderman: The Movie, Unreal 2, and GTA: Vice City. Any other games that are must have titles? [PC ONLY]

2. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

Unreal 2 wasn't that great a game according to most reviewers.

I'd suggest The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, but you seem like more of an action-oriented guy and you probably wouldn't like its length, depth, and beauty. Jedi Knight 2 is pretty good and very action-packed, as well at Battlefield 1942 and Vietcong. Also try the Medal of Honor games.

3. Servant of Eru

I already have JK2: Jedi Outcast, and I do like a good RPG. (Morrowind is an RPG isn't it?)

P.S. Oh, and I forgot to add, I'm also probably gonna get Deus Ex and Max Payne.

P.P.S. Is AvP 2 worth the cashola?

4. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

I know Deus Ex is good, though I have some graphics issues now that I've upgraded my video card. I've never played Max Payne.

Yes, Morrowind is a good RPG. The best, as far as I know.

5. Servant of Eru

I'm gonna have an ATI Radeon 9800 on my new rig. Would I be able to underclock it to fix the issues, or would I have to puchase a second older Graphics card?

I ran into a similar problem on Gex 2: Enter the Gecko. I was only able to run it on my laptop, due to the less sophisticated Graphics hardware. I was running an MSI GeForce 4 MX440 back then, with an AMD Athlon 2100 XP CPU, and a Gigabyte (piece of crap) MOBO. Didn't try underclocking though, since I hadn't heard of it at the time...:(

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

As someone who has played the Unreal series since the Voodoo1 days...

Unreal = great game, state of the art.
    UT = great multiplayer system, more colorful than Quake3.

UT2003 = Super graphics - but not done cooking. Maps are generally GREAT, sound is Great, Charater "skins' are very good (about 50). What "blows" in UT2003:

1 - Weapons! Lack of sniper rifle and in general - they all suck. Lightning gun is junk with tiny "scope" - like they didn't learn that lighting type guns in Quake sucked as well.

2 - Multiplayer Server Population : When searching for LIVE players, the software will count "bots" as populated (Original UT does not) - so hence, you send a lot more time LOOKING for live meat.

3 - Interface is more GAMING that Computerish, looks VERY GOOD - but doesn't have the functionality of UT. (Fixed in UT2004)

4 - Team view - the ability to LOCATE your own team to help them. And PLAYING DEAD function!!

Many issues (bugs) have been fixed in UT2003 since the release of about 8 patches... but those 4 listed things are NOT fixed. I've played on servers which use CUSTOM weapons which have MADE THE GAME GREAT and FUN to play... the way normal weapons in UT2003 suck.

Unreal2 : Great graphics, standard game story ie: not great... Awsome sounds and maps. GOOD: Most weapons are very good and fun to play with (unlike UT2003), movement feels better. Sniper Gun is top notch. BAD: The inability to SKIP the cut scenes is a BIG NO NO!! Even games made in the 90s knew better than this!! Install patch to improve performance and reliability.

7. Servant of Eru

Games that are based almost entirely on a HSIC are useless to me, i.e. Battlefield 1942. I'm on 56k Slo-Mo, and am not getting any form of HSI in the forseeable future.

I have UT2K3, and the only plus about it was you got the Maya for Personal Home Edition on one of the CDs. Which, while it says it's a personal edition is actually professional 3D graphics editing software (so I'm told); But I couldn't use it on my old rig due to a lackage of RAM (; it requires over a Gig to run at all).

UT2K4 is out now?!! I haven't seen it yet. Is it any good? I might find myself having to purchase it as well; if there's a significant improvement over UT2K3 (, which sucked major monkey nipple).

My other question is still unanswered. Would underclocking my Vid Card make me able to play older games? :(

8. McTimson

McTimson

Those are all great games you listed, HL is definitely a must, Tron2 is an interesting game, you should enjoy it, especially with that beefy video card. Jedi Academy is good, but it's basically the same as Jedi Outcast...except you get to choose your character/lightsaber, and stuff. Still a good game though.

AVP2 is a good game, it's got a lot of cool features in it....you might as well get it.

Max Payne is definitely a very fun game, but Max Payne 2 is coming out soon.

Your video card shouldn't have any problems...and if there are, I'm sure there's a patch for the games somewhere out there.

9. RSM123

RSM123

might take a look at Operation Flashpoint - it was originally intended to be a mission based FPS set in a fictional 1980s conflict. The premise being you are a private in the army and you work your way through the missions until you eventually command your own squad - either Human or AI combinations are possible.

However where OFP differs from many ( though like BF1942) is that you can fly planes, drive tanks, coordinate artillery, and most importantly there is a very powerful in built mission editor allowing much greater flexibilty than a linear campaign would offer.

Furthermore there are several gigs of free mods available for download - units, terrain, weapons, etc ... here are two of the leading fansites :

http://www.opflashpoint.org

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?special=articles/mods.html

10. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

how bout warcraft3 and starcraft!

and if u like rpgs

u i think u still get final fantasy 7,8 for pc....... i got it!

11. mr wolf

mr wolf

Operation Flashpoint is a great game.
    Thanks for reminding me. I am going to install it now and see how it looks on my 9800 pro. :)

Cant wait for JK3 and HL2.

I generally didn't like the doom games. Too dark and forboding.

But I am definetely getting Doom 3, if just for the eye candy. :D

Another great game is Mafia. Great and involving storyline and characters, good graphics. It has a free mode like GTA where you can drive classic 1930's cars around a huge 1930's east coast city.

Max Payne rocks.

12. RSM123

RSM123

You're right OFP is a great game - if you haven't played it in a while then check the two sites above for the latest Mods.

Have a good week.

Richard.(y)

13. MLTX_1

MLTX_1

Windows XP System​

• Unreal Tournament '03&'04: You need a good computer for these
    • Unreal Tournament G.O.T.Y. Edition

If you have a Win95/98 system​

• ULTIMATE DOOM

• DOOM II

[These are best played installed under MSDOS. Believe me, it'll work, I've done it Start>Shutdown>Restart in MSDOS Mode]
    • FINAL DOOM

OR
    • DOOM Collectors Edition
    [It will come up that you need to download a certian file to run the DirectX 8.0a Right. I think you can get it from Microsoft website. I think it is called "DCOM" but I cant be for sure.]
    • Duke Nukem 3D
    [This one is also best to install it under MSDOS. You can also get demo games of the CD]

14. Kramer55

Kramer55

15. McTimson

McTimson

You can't say something is going to be a great game without even playing it...everyone said Enter the Matrix was going to be an awesome game too, and we all know how that turned out....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice