Pc Or Pcmcia Card, Difference Please?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WheresTheCat

Hi, I'm shopping on-line for a v.92 modem for a notebook pc and am confused by the PC card or PCMCIA name on these products. What is the difference with these two kind? I know External modems can hook up to the serial port or usb port, but where do these Internal modems go?? I'd like to add the least cords possible, with my new modem so not to hinder the moveability of the laptop. Thanks for any help;)

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
"PC Card and PCMCIA are interchangeable terms"
Yes those two are, but Cardbus is better/faster/less resource hungry and more stable. If you can go for one of these.

WheresTheCat

Originally posted by raybro:
I believe what you want for your internal moden is a PCI card.

The store said the "pci" is for Desktops only, laptops need pc cards- circuit city.. was he wrong? I will take a look at your link & also check out a Card-Bus, as suggested :D

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
PCI is a bus architecture and can apply to any machine. However, having said that:
PCI expansion cards are desktop only(plus docking station).
PC/PCMCIA cards are 16bit and use the ISA Bus. CardBus is 32 bit and interfaces direcly with the 32 bit PCI bus.

WheresTheCat

Cool site, very helpful! (above link). How do I check the pc card slot size, on my laptop? Thanks..

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Look in the manual. or open the door/slot cover and look see how many slots there are. Most Laptops have two type2 slots.
More important is whether there is Cardbus support. Again most newer machines do support it. Yes you can use PC/PCMCIA in a cardbus slot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online