1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc Or Pcmcia Card, Difference Please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WheresTheCat, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WheresTheCat

WheresTheCat Thread Starter

Hi, I'm shopping on-line for a v.92 modem for a notebook pc and am confused by the PC card or PCMCIA name on these products. What is the difference with these two kind? I know External modems can hook up to the serial port or usb port, but where do these Internal modems go?? I'd like to add the least cords possible, with my new modem so not to hinder the moveability of the laptop. Thanks for any help;)

2. raybro

raybro

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "I'd like to add the least cords possible"

I know what you mean. Consider a modem with XJack - the jack pops out of the PCMCIA card, so its out of the way when you don't need it.

Here's a link to a modem with an Xjack connection: http://www.usr.com/products/laptop/laptop-product.asp?sku=USR3056

PC Card and PCMCIA are interchangeable terms.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

"PC Card and PCMCIA are interchangeable terms"
    Yes those two are, but Cardbus is better/faster/less resource hungry and more stable. If you can go for one of these.

5. WheresTheCat

6. raybro

raybro

Sorry... missed the fact you were talking about a laptop. My bad.:(

7. DaveBurnett

PCI is a bus architecture and can apply to any machine. However, having said that:
    PCI expansion cards are desktop only(plus docking station).
    PC/PCMCIA cards are 16bit and use the ISA Bus. CardBus is 32 bit and interfaces direcly with the 32 bit PCI bus.

8. WheresTheCat

Cool site, very helpful! (above link). How do I check the pc card slot size, on my laptop? Thanks..

9. DaveBurnett

Look in the manual. or open the door/slot cover and look see how many slots there are. Most Laptops have two type2 slots.
    More important is whether there is Cardbus support. Again most newer machines do support it. Yes you can use PC/PCMCIA in a cardbus slot.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice