Solved PC overheats and shuts down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Deadlegend186

Hello, hope all is well and safe, I have a issue with my Computer, it shut down, no bangs or smell of burning, just really overheated and just shut down.
I recon it’s the psu but when I plug in a power lead the lsd lights on the motherboard light up so it’s still supplying power. I’m assuming it is filtering some power through but not enough to power the system itself?
Could I be right? Could this be the case?

Many thanks for any help supplier.

Tommy.

crjdriver

Seeing a LED light on a motherboard means nothing in regard to a pw supply actually functioning. The best test of a pw supply is to swap in a known good unit for testing. You do not have to fully install the test unit; simply connect atx, aux/cpu pw, and video pw [if used] Hit the ON button and see if the system will POST.

If you do not have a test pw supply or a bench/test system, then there are pw supply testers however the cheap ones do not load the unit and those are pretty much worthless.

Deadlegend186

Seeing a LED light on a motherboard means nothing in regard to a pw supply actually functioning. The best test of a pw supply is to swap in a known good unit for testing. You do not have to fully install the test unit; simply connect atx, aux/cpu pw, and video pw [if used] Hit the ON button and see if the system will POST.

If you do not have a test pw supply or a bench/test system, then there are pw supply testers however the cheap ones do not load the unit and those are pretty much worthless.
Thank you for your reply, I have another PSU coming today, it’s a better one than the one I had in this build.
Think it’s just the supply to be honest, never had one die in me before so unsure if it will still provide residual power even when not fully working.

crjdriver

The only way you are going to find out is by testing. Install the new pw supply and see if it works. If it does, great. If not, you have eliminated one possible problem.

It would really help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact processor, etc, etc. Do not post "16gig of ram" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.

Deadlegend186

The only way you are going to find out is by testing. Install the new pw supply and see if it works. If it does, great. If not, you have eliminated one possible problem.

It would really help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact processor, etc, etc. Do not post "16gig of ram" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.
Thanks for your help, problem as I suspected was the power supply. I have as previously stated never had one fail on me before, but to add to that I have never had a motherboard with onboard lcd lights. So when the power supply failed it still allowed when plugged in enough power through it to light the lcd’s on the motherboard. This made me thing the power supply may have still been good and my issue was something else. So I asked before buying a replacement. However just went with my gut and got a new one and all sorted.

thanks
Tommy

crjdriver

You are welcome. A LED takes next to nothing in the way of wattage. That is why your pw supply could put out enough to pw the LEDs however not enough to pw the system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online