1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC posting troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Casualnova, Aug 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Casualnova

Casualnova Thread Starter

Hello. My PC has troubles POSTing reliably. It will generally take 4-5 presses of the power switch with subsequent powering up (lights, fan spin) for two seconds then shutting of with a clear shutoff noise before it works and posts.
    I have had this issue in the past and eventually my 5 year old system just gave in and died. Yesterday I replaced the four main trouble components that provoke POSTING errors, and upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2600x on an MSI x470 Gaming Plus, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram and a 650W bequiet gold rated Psup. The GPU is a GTX 1070, approximately 1 year old, but I do not think either my GPU or hard drives can be the issue in this case, that stop my PC from POSTing.

I do not have the audio jack to hear error codes on the mainboard. How do I proceed with troubleshooting what could be the issue? I flashed BIOS and updated the chipset, every driver is completely up to date.
    I am confident I have wired correctly and plugged everything in properly (and when the PC runs, it runs well and performs great on benchmarks)
    Either something is shorting the board when I start it, or could it be that the Power Switch of my Tower is causing an issue?

For reference, my PC not POSTing unless I try 5-6 times is something I have struggled with for about a year on the other system, but I could circumvent it by putting my computer to sleep and just waking it up normally.
    My current system does not respond to being waken, by mouse or keyboard, with both options enabled in the peripherals hardware menus.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Send please a paste of the info in the white box when you run the system info utility
    https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Confirm which Anti Virus and Firewall is in use please

When did you replace the motherboard CPU, ram and PSU - how long ago
    Has it had the continued problem from the start OR only when you installed your programs and apps

You do not need an audio jack
    all you need is a system speaker as per page 38 of your manual

Check page 49 and 49
    it will only wake from certain sleep states on ps2 mouse keyboard connection
    USB mouse keyboard connection is more limited

3. Casualnova

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 16332 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 231 GB (169 GB Free); D: 931 GB (884 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., X470 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B79)
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

I bought and replaced all those parts on last saturday. It was a problem from the first press of the power switch, it did not immediately POST the first time until the board cycled a couple of times.
    I still have to re-try 5+ times until it POSTS, BIOS is flashed with the most recent version. I have tried to run it with just 1 stick of RAM in DIMMA2 with the same result: motherboard cycling power in 2-3 sec intervals then shutting off until it finally posts.
    I since adjusted RAM speed to 2933 MHz and SoC to a voltage I am comfortable with, but no result regardless.
    For reference, the same cycling of power occurs with GPU and Hard Drives removed/plugged out

I am returning all 4 freshly bought parts to the store I bought them from tomorrow for replacements, but I will probably not get another MSI board and instead ask for an ASUS (maybe ROG Strix) or similar. I called MSI and their tech guy could barely guide me past steps I'd already taken.

4. Macboatmaster

Si is it assembled and running at THIS time
    presumably so, albeit you say you are RMA`d tomorrow
    If so when was Norton installed - on the motherboard CD when the board drivers were installed
    NORTON is your number one suspect

Uninstall it using settings NOT control panel programs and features and then full shutdown
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

full shutdown
    Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.

The reboot and run Norton tool

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881

following of course remove completely not remove and reinstall
    Full shutdown

The try again with your boot

5. Casualnova

I installed Norton myself, as I got a free Norton Pro from work. It wasn't POSTing properly before I installed Norton, same as now. I do not expect removing Norton will do anything as it has been giving me the 'error' long before I decided to just install software on the system anyway.

And yes, it POSTs sometimes as previously mentioned, it will take 5+ tries and then it will POST just fine, the userbenchmark on the system is rather good as well.

I still will return the parts because not having a 100% functioning system/an obvious hardware error doesn't sit rightly with me. I expect them to be in 100% working condition, not a condition where I have to take 30 sec of power switch presses and waiting just for the computer to start up. For reference, the same power cycling occurs when I jump the power with a screwdriver as opposed to the PC's power connector/button.

6. Macboatmaster

Is the PSU fully compatible with the board and CPU
    I am not familiar with the make

I would leave Norton off but that is your choice irrespective of it not being too blame

Try the full shutdown I listed and then a power on.
    It could be that the system is not fully shutting down and the windows 10 hybrid sleep is causing the problem

7. Casualnova

The PSU is a bequiet! 650w, gold cert, compatabile with both.

Full shutdown/even unplugging/replugging or switching on/off at the PSU has the same result, power cycling for 5+ times until it starts.

8. Macboatmaster

Out of ideas good luck with it
    What does EZ led show
    if anything

9. Casualnova

RAM and VGA EZ LED are always active/red indicating an issue. However, if I remove the GPU and try to POST with onboard graphics, same problem occurs

10. Casualnova

I believe I found the culprits: my own sloppy troubleshooting and the casing. I tried to jump it while it was still in the casing and it wouldn't go.
    But now, as I was getting ready to pack everything to return, I just ran it barebones - 1 RAM and CPU on the ground, started fine. 1 Ram, CPU and GPU, no problem. 2 RAM, CPU, GPU, SDD, no problem.

I believe the casing kept shorting it, in hindsight there was a very audible power 'click' every time the system shut off pre-post, as if the switch of the PSU was flicked on/off.

11. Macboatmaster

If you knew before I am surprised you did not mention it on your post
    If you did not know then I am pleased to have helped
    Mark it solved please
    click mark solved button on your opening post

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice