1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Power Problem (I think it's RAM or MOBO related)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lookaquarter, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lookaquarter

lookaquarter Thread Starter

So, this is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KxyPTH(disregard the first 1866 MHz ram, I have 16gb of 2400 MHz. I also have a Samsung 850 evo 500gb SSD instead of the crucial if that makes a difference)

Since I've had the build I've either had memory issues causing poor performance, or power issues that have caused my computer to randomly power down. If my ram is running at 2400 MHz my computer will just randomly shut down during use, and sometimes not turn on unless I reseat power cables. If the ram is underclocked to 1333 MHz the computer does not randomly die as much but my ram will very easily go to 100% use, whether just by using chrome, or playing a game, which hinders performance.

On PC part picker it says that "The Corsair - Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum." So I think that this might have to do with it, however I also think maybe the motherboard might be the issue, not really sure.

I have a job and money to fix this issue and I'm so fed up with having to choose between random shutdowns or bad performance I really want help diagnosing what exactly needs to change. I've asked for help with this before and received no response so I really hope someone can help this time now that I have more info.

I built the computer 2-3 years ago. I'm on my third power supply now (because I thought the power issues originally were powersupply failures), but everything else is original. Also, the cooling has been upgraded and my temps are fine.

Thanks for any help that you guys have for me!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    One this I see is that the 2400 mhz RAM you're using isn't on the boards compatibility list, so that might be part of the problem.

The power supply is an EXCELLENT unit, but that does necessarily rule that out either. Even high-end manufacturer's have lapses in Quality Control.

I would recommend swapping to compatible memory and seeing what that does. Go to the support page of your motherboard and check the RAM QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for the appropriate RAM to purchase. Any RAM on that list has been tested to verify compatibility.

3. replay

replay

the reviews on that mobo are suspect https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128716

do u have xmp in the bios ??? if so if u enable it it should set the memory up automatically
    what voltage does it say on the actual stick?? if its 1.5v (or??) u can set it manually also i would set the ram to run at 1600mhz (no ram overclock)
    also if u have 2 sticks of 8 gb....pull one out and see if problems persist, if so try the other stick ALONE
    ..you need to run a complete memory test after to see if u have a bad stick (which i'm pretty sure you do!!!!) **memtest*** download the creat a bootable disk/usb
    then boot with it...... u have a great power supply ,why did u change it 3 times???

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Replay, I just wanted to chime in on the above if you don't mind.

I have used RAM before that wasn't on a QVL and have always had nothing but issues. Even if the capacity, speed and timing was EXACTLY what was needed, but it wasn't the same brand as on the QVL, it wouldn't work 100%.

Just my opinion, but I think it would be far easier to replace the RAM FIRST. That way, you KNOW you have not only NEW RAM but the CORRECT RAM as well. If that STILL doesn't work, then I would move on to possibly a board issue at that point.

Don't want it to sound like I'm ''harping on ya", Replay, you do good work here. I just wanted to chime in my opinion. Cheers, mate.

5. lookaquarter

I'm not very good at getting through the bios, but I'll try checking it, and I'll also test the individual ram sticks. I installed CPU-Z, and Piriform Specy, so if either of you'd like any readouts from either of those, I can do so.

6. replay

replay

hey andrew
    the more minds the better :)
    i must admit i never use the QVL list atall, but have had my fair share of memory issue's... thats why i always buy memory with the lifetime warranty!

metallica5456 likes this.
  7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I agree, Replay.

I must admit as well, neither had I....UNTIL I had a similar issue as above. I spent HOURS trying to do manual timings and this and that and STILL had weird issues. Replaces the RAM with a QVL set....works beautifully. Just because the RAM isn't necessarily on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work, just that it's not tested.

I just know from that experience that it's a massive headache. Hope things are well with you.

8. lookaquarter

http://i.imgur.com/cyALG70.jpg
    So, when it's on this setting the the ram doesn't really work, and I have performance issues and crashing.

http://i.imgur.com/Ip3beOg.jpg
    When it's on this setting everything runs how I think it's suppose to except my computer sometimes doesn't start correctly making everything laggy and the audio sounds terrible. Or if it does launch correctly, it will randomly restart itself at some point.

edit: Actually maybe on that second setting things don't run correctly, getting massive stuttering in Assetto Corsa atm.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. replay

replay

your ram should be 1.65 v
    forget the xmp..... also set the timings too in the bios

Capture.PNG

have u pulled a stick and run the computer yet??? if issues pull it out ...... try the other

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice