PC Power shut down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gunney

My PC power goes off after starting. If I change the power cord to another socket on my surge protector, it sometimes can be restarted. Sometimes after I wait for awhile and then change the socket, it will come on. Sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for hours. I suspect a heat issue. All fans are running. Could there be a problem in the power box? Any ideas? Last time I checked the CPU temperature was 52 degrees centigade.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

52 on what cpu? That's high for an Intel....as a comparison, my P4 2.8 runs around 42ish.

Also, when you say, 'last time I checked' --- are you checking the bios upon startup? Or do you have a temperature monitoring program running? I would suspect by the time of the shutdown, the temp is probably higher than 52.

gunney

AcaCandy said:
Hi and welcome.

52 on what cpu? That's high for an Intel....as a comparison, my P4 2.8 runs around 42ish.

Also, when you say, 'last time I checked' --- are you checking the bios upon startup? Or do you have a temperature monitoring program running? I would suspect by the time of the shutdown, the temp is probably higher than 52.
CPU is a AMD 2.4
I ran a diagnostic programwhile the computer was running.Progessively got warmer as time went by (normal). Stopped at 52 degrees. The problem seems to be more prevelent early in the morning after the computer has been shut down for the night. (Ex. This morning started computer. It booted fine, ran for about 10 minutes annd then shut down. Tried moving the power plug to another socket. booted, then immediatly shut down. Tried another socket. No response. After about 1/2 hour, tried another socked and it booted and ran ok for about 5 minutes, then shut down. After being shut down for about two hors, tried another socket and it booted but then shut down, tried another socket and it has been running ok for about two hours now.When I say shut down I mean power supply goes completly out like a circuit breaker kicking in.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'd start with the surge protector, perhaps it is failing, then move onto the actual power supply.

gunney

Does the same thingwhen plugged into the wal socket. Do you think it mightbe the power supply box?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online