1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imiy, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

can someone advise me what is my ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard pc power supply is in watts.
    cheers

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't tell what power supply you have by the motherboard or any software utility for that matter. You need to check the documentation that came with the computer, or the best way is to open the computer and take a look at the sticker found on the side of the power supply.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    imiy:

ASUS P4S533-MX motherboard specs:

http://www.baber.com/baber/411/asus_p4s533-mx.htm

The motherboard and power supply are 2 completely separate pieces of hardware.

If you open your computer case, you should be able to read the information on the power supply to determine what wattage it is.

If your computer is an off-the-shelf, factory-brand model, its website hardware specifications section may tell you what wattage the power supply is.

----------------------------------------------------------

Triple6:

It looks like we were both replying at the same time.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

hi,
    but the link has no info regarding power supply in wattage.
    the thing is at this moment in time my pc power is 300watts but i want to increase to 650watts will my Asus P4S533-MX motherboard be able to handle it.
    cheers

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ahh ok, thats not what you asked. A motherboard or any component does not set the maximum wattage of a power supply that can be used. The system uses as much power as it needs. You do have a minimum that the system needs based on the draw by the components but no maximum. So you can use a 650 Watt PSU or a 1000 Watt PSU and it'll be fine - the system will draw only what it needs from the PSU.

6. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

cheers triple6
    much appreciated i will give it a go.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just make sure you get a quality unit like Antec, Enermax, FSP, Corsair, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling to name jsut a few. Avoid the cheap brands, they don't last long and the quality is poor and can result in performance and stability issues.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    imiy:

The link to the motherboard was to provide you with the technical information about it - just in case you have need of it.

As Triple6 already advised, the motherboard doesn't place a limit on the amount of wattage in a power supply. This is one piece of hardware that you don't want to go into "el cheapo" mode. Without a working power supply, your computer doesn't start and work.

-------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice