1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC powers down by itself, fans and fan controller still on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reso, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reso

Reso Thread Starter

Hi as the tittle suggests my PC keeps shutting itself down. I replaced my cpu heatsink and applied thermal paste to rule out my CPU overheating, my cpu now idles at 40°c.

I think i may have a faulty PSU as when my PC powers down the fans ect are still on but my TV screen receives no signal from the HDMI lead that is connected to my graphics card and my USB powered keyboard and mouse also switch off. There are no strange sounds comming from my PC at all and all my components are clean and dust free.

On boot up i occassionally got the power surge protection message but i put this down to having to turn my PSU off and back on again to get my PC to boot, this message does not occur every time the problem happens and i have turned off the power surge protection to see if the problem persists and it does. I have tried using my onboard graphics instead of my radeon hd 7870 so as to draw less power from the PSU and the problem still persists. I dont think my HDD is to blame as windows boots correctly and im able to use windows sometimes for a couple of hours before my machine powers down. My machine has powered down idling and also at load but the problem seems to happen more and more frequently. I have had issues with my HDMI lead in the past where i would randomly lose signal to my tv but a replacement hdmi lead solved this issue. I have however heard that HDMI is not the best connection to use to connect a PC to a TV and that my problems maybe due to bad drivers. I may try using a DVI to HDMI adapter so i can connect my tv via DVI. I have recently updated my GPU drivers but the driver suggested by AMD update is not the latest which i though was interesting. Also on boot up i can see that my ram is correctly identified so dont think its a ram issue.

My specs are as follows:
    Amd bulldozer fx4100 (black edition quad core)
    Asus ml7a-usb 3 mobo (off the top of my head)
    Radeon hd 7870 gpu
    8gb ram
    Powered by corsair tx750m enthusiast edition (750watt modular bronze 80+ rated)

Any help and suggestions would be massively appreciated!!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In the BIOS setup where you disabled surge protection - set voltage monitoring
    section 2.5.5

Support that with a run of a free voltage monitoring such as
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

be aware though that readings are often unreliable on these 3rd party programs

A cause can be a bad connection particularly on the main or aux power connectors to the board

This
    does NOT mean ram is OK it may still be defective, but I doubt that is the cause.

Is the system OC`d

3. Reso

Reso Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the quick reply. No my system isnt OC'd. Im using a friends psu for a while to try and solve the issue. I cant find the parameter you mentioned in my bios setup. In the jumper free configuration settings which contains my cpu ratio and voltage settings everything is set to auto. I have sttings here such as cpu ratio, cpu/nb frequency and cpu overvoltage all of which are set to auto wgich i believe is my default bios settings. However both my psu and my friends psu read normal voltages in my bios monitor readings and both read off in my desktop HWmonitor? Im confused

4. Reso

Reso Thread Starter

My HWmonitor readings are equally out on my friends psu as they were on my posibly faulty psu infact the readings are exactely the same

+12v reads 8.016v
    +5v reads 3.387v

My system hasnt shutdown using my friends psu though so think i may have got to the bottom of this, the HWmonitor readings must be out. Will leave my system running a while longer to see if it does eventually shutdown again.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

HWM is next to useless on modern hardware. If your 12V rail was really 8.016V, it would not even pw ON.
    You have an asus board; why would you use anything except asus probe? Asus probe will provide accurate temp and voltage readings.
    Check the model# again, you do not have the correct model# listed. Once you post the correct model# then I can find the support page for that board AND give you a link to download the asus monitoring software.

If your pw supply is the cause, corsair TX units have a 5yr warranty so you should be able to get it replaced.

6. Reso

Reso Thread Starter

Thank you very much the correct model number for the board is asus m5a78-m/usb3

7. Reso

Reso Thread Starter

I think the issue has been solved and its a simple solution. I noticed the 12 pin mobo connection on my friends psu had an audible click when i attached it to my mobo. The 12 pin connection on my psu doesnt have the same audible click so i conclude my 12 pin connection is slightly loose so at times vibrations has caused this 12 pin connection to disconect just enough to cause my problems. I also notice that during my problems my psu was slightly warm to the touch after my systems been on for just a couple of minutes. Now with my old psu reinstalled properly my system hasnt shutdown in over an hour and my psu still feels cool to the touch. I feel like such an idiot but a lesson has been learnt. Thanks for all the help sorry for wasting your time.

8. Macboatmaster

As I said
    Pleased you found it

As an aside
    to which 12 pin do you refer

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Reso likes this.
  9. Reso

Reso Thread Starter

Yeah you were right, I ment the 24 pin, been a stressful day, glad its kind of sorted though, the connection still slips ocassionally but a piece of tape will sort that till i can afford a new psu. My build is 4 years old now so guess its time to start replacing a few things anyway. Thanks again for all the help

10. Macboatmaster

If the problem is the actual cable connection to the board - just buy a new cable for the Corsair

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a TX which is non-modular so the atx cable is part of the pw supply. A simple fix is to use some RTV compound. A VERY small amount placed on the connector junction will hold the connection together. It will still be pliable enough to remove the connector if/when necessary.

One last item. If the connector is in fact the cause of the problem, give both ends a very close inspection for any burn marks or arcing.

12. Macboatmaster

Sorry my mistake thought it being this
    realise now that although it is modular that does not include the ATX cable which is attached

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice