PC powers off apparently randomly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

booey1

Hi

I'm fixing an old PC and it keeps powering off after 5-20 seconds for an unknown reason.

Athlon x2 4600+
MSI msn 2 sli deluxe
2 GB ram
Geforce 8600 gt

What should is check? Post is fine, no obvious issues in the bios.

booey1

Okay, so I haven't installed the operating system yet and if I just leave the PC after the post it stays on, but in the bios or windows install it turns off after a random time.

booey1

I don't think I can post that info.

I've tried a second PSU. First PSU is colors it 550w second is cwt 305w.

Does the 8600gt really draw that much? It doesn't have an extra power cable...

booey1

I've tried disconnecting everything but the GPU and that doesn't help either. You might be right about the GPU. I'll swap it.

booey1

I thought I had fried it, but thank God, it seems okay.

I put in the other GPU (7900gtx) which does require the extra power cable. I then managed the full format of the drive from the windows CD and all the copying of data. Now it just shuts down again after post when it gets to the boot stage.

Take off the heatsink fan......clean off thermal compound.......reapply new compound......reattach heatsink.....see if it has same problem

booey1

Thanks, so I've tried that. It doesn't seem to have made much difference, but the PC has stayed on for longer (15 minutes+) so I have now installed WIN XP and can boot. Still random power downs though :(

booey1

Another update. I've managed to fully install XP now, but it still restarts at certain points. I think before it was constantly restarting when it accessed the HDD on trying to load windows. Just now it restarted on starting to load a game - not sure what it was accessing.

Any ideas?

booey1

Thanks, I'll try that. I don't think it is a bsod, but just a shut down.

Update: on trying to access the DVD ROM drive makes the system shut down. I've repeated this 3 times and its happened every time.

Could it be something to do with the IDE cable or connection as that would explain why the HDD was causing it to shut down before.

Disconnect the data and power cable at the back of the cd /DVD drive then reboot......see what happens

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online