1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC powers off playing Oblivion

Discussion in 'Games' started by tdonohue, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tdonohue

tdonohue Thread Starter

I would appreciate any help on this issue.

I just purchased and installed the game Oblivion. Nearly every time I play the game, my PC powers completely off. No warning, no pause or freeze, no noises. It occurs maybe half-hour to an hour into it. It is just as if I flipped the switch on the back or pulled the plug. My first thought is possibly a heat related issue, but this does not occur during any other activity. I've burned DVD's, watched television, and played emulated games all at the same time without a hitch. I am assuming this must be an oblivion related issue? Just wondering if anyone else who has this game has encountered the same issue.

Thanks

2. Jones

Jones

I think you may be right with your first impression as heat being the problem. The other activities you mentioned don't stress the system nearly as much as playing high-performance video-intensive games. To easily find out if heat is the problem, open the side of the case, aim a house fan to blow into the case, and play the game. If it does not shut off as it normally would, your video card or other components are likely overheating.

3. iLLegaL89

iLLegaL89

aye sounds like a heat issue me thinks o_O

4. James D

James D

Yea, I also agree. Hey Tdonohue, could u tell us what stats ur running oblive on? Ghz, ram, and video card. Thanks

5. Jones

Jones

Well, after having a similar problem with my machine, another cause might be your Power Supply. I noticed the same thing on my new machine during heavy gaming. Turns out that the power supply was cheap, and couldn't stay stable under load. I've upgraded to a much better PSU, and now it works fine. It's something else to try if heat is not the issue.

6. James D

James D

Great point! PSU's have gotten so much flak in the last year...

7. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

before rushing out with your wallet open, run this program and start the test and let it run for 1 hour
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

while that is running, monitor your cpu temp

if the pc powers off then it could be a powersupply problem if the cpu temp is under 60C

also monitor the voltage if they fall too far below their rated values while running the program then the problem is your powersupply.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice