1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC powers on, displays power light but no battery light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jon.with.no.h, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jon.with.no.h

jon.with.no.h Thread Starter

Hello! I have been having this problem for about a week now, ever since I set my old computer back up in my room. The problem started when I left my computer alone for a while when I went out (the computer was working fine and I had just finished transfering pictures to my computer from my camera). I came back and the power light on the front if the case was on, but the battery light was off. The monitor had also gone into sleep mode. I turned off the computer since I knew whatever I was going had already been saved and exited out of, unplugged everything (including the monitor and PC/Monitor cable) and plugged it back in and turned them on. The monitor goes straight to power saving mode (sleep mode). The PC is definitely receiving power, the keyboard's caps and num lock keys flash, the wireless mouse's light flashes, the pc fans turn on, and both of the power and battery lights turn on. But, after a second, the battery light turns off, and the only light I can see through it is the power indicator's light bleeding through. The strange thing is, I've been able to get it to work before, about 2 times actually. Both of those successful boots happened either when I ignored the thing for so long or left it unplugged over night, but had already forgot it didn't work last time. But it did those times. So I tried to leave it unplugged all last night. Just woke up, and... still nothing. I really need to to get those pictures to my mom, so if someone could please help that would be great! Thanks!

Edit: I am not completely sure, but I may have fixed the problem. I turned my computer on with the monitor off and before the battery light turned off I turned the monitor on. It presented me with an option to boot with Win7 and something else (I chose Windows 7) and another screen with the Safe Mode boot choices. All my files seem to be here and I will mark this as solved if this happens to work the next time as well. 12:42pm

Edit 2: the problem seems to be back again. My sister used my computer and left it on so it froze. Turned it off and it won't stay on again. Will unplug completely overnight and try my earlier method. 9:34pm

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. jon.with.no.h

Edit 3: Yeah, that hasn't worked. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi jon.with.no.h, and welcome to TSG.

It might help someone here to help you if you told us the exact brand and model number of the computer and/or the motherboard in the computer.

Your mentioning a monitor and cable makes me think that you have a desktop computer, but I have only seen any kind of battery power status lights on laptops and notebooks.

4. jon.with.no.h

Hello! Yes, I do have a desktop. On the front of the case, it says HP Compaq. I'm not sure if this is correct, but on the back of the computer under the power connection and fan there is a label. There's a barcode on the left and a string of characters that reads 2UA8140BXS. underneath that code it says "Hewlitt-Packard", which I assume is a manufacturer of some sort.

A label on the motherboard has another code which reads PA9940L9VVU2Q2. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I suspect the light you are seeing is the hard drive activity light. The light looks like a cylinder (soda can).

6. jon.with.no.h

Hi! Yes, that's the one that isn't constant.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  8. jon.with.no.h

Yes, sir! Also, after being completely unplugged (not even Ethernet or and USB connections) and left alone for about 18 hours, it turns back on. I also removed and reinstalled my hard drive and used a new VGA cable, so it could either be just one of them or a specific combination of these techniques. Either way, I'm marking this as solved for now, if anything else happens I'll be sure to update. Thank you everyone for your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice