Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC powers up but no video

Solved 
531 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 · (Edited)
This is sort of an extension of a previous thread. I had an issue with a PC that I built, and it wasn't turning on. I've replaced all the major parts. New parts include the mobo, the CPU the PSU and the case. I'm using the original HDD and DVD drive. The mobo is an ASUS H310m-e R.2. The CPU is an Intel Celeron G4930. I know that there are some issues that the old HDD can create. The PC powers up now but, there isn't any video. I installed a video card and that didn't work either. I also disconnected the HDD, the video card, and the DVD. still no video. And, yes, I tried a couple different HDMI cables. Nothing. All suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
If you are going to tell me to do A clean install of Windows, can I do it with a bootable USB if the bios isn't set up to boot from the USB? Same question for a DVD...

#2 ·
Have you read the guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.
If you are going to tell me to do A clean install of Windows, can I do it with a bootable USB if the bios isn't set up to boot from the USB? Same question for a DVD...
Windows has nothing to do with a no POST condition; it is a hardware problem. To answer your question, yes. Asus motherboards have a quick boot menu that is accessed by hitting the F8 key during POST. You would then select the install usb however again this does you no good since the system is not completing POST.

Common errors for inexperienced builders;
1 The 8/12pin cpu/aux pw connector not plugged in
2 Motherboard shorting to the case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
3 Something is not fully seated ie ram, video card, pw connectors, etc
4 Parts not compatible. Does not seem to be a problem in this case
5 Monitor connected to the motherboard onboard port when a real video card is installed

#3 · (Edited)
Have you read the guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.

Windows has nothing to do with a no POST condition; it is a hardware problem. To answer your question, yes. Asus motherboards have a quick boot menu that is accessed by hitting the F8 key during POST. You would then select the install usb however again this does you no good since the system is not completing POST.

Common errors for inexperienced builders;
1 The 8/12pin cpu/aux pw connector not plugged in
2 Motherboard shorting to the case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
3 Something is not fully seated ie ram, video card, pw connectors, etc
4 Parts not compatible. Does not seem to be a problem in this case
5 Monitor connected to the motherboard onboard port when a real video card is installed
The 4/8 pin is seated properly. I checked both power connections thoroughly. Standoffs are good. Made sure of that because the standoffs in the old case were way out of whack so, I thought that might have been why it wasn't powering on then. Initially, I didn't plug in my video card because I found out that the onboard video is actually better than the card. When I didn't see anything on the monitor, I plugged in the card. Still no video. Do you think connecting a monitor with VGA or DVI would make a difference? I'll need a few minutes to check the other items for proper seating. I asked about the OS because I did some research and read that an old HDD with a new mobo could cause issues with audio, video, and a few other processes. And I looked for that guide in the Hardware forum but, could not find it. Thanks for your help so far. I'll get back to you with the results.

#5 ·
standoffs in the old case were way out of whack so, I thought that might have been why it wasn't powering on then. Initially
If you had this motherboard in the old case and applied pw, it is possible you fried the board. If a standoff contacts a solder trace or other conductive component, it can fry the motherboard.

If you never attempted to pw ON, then disregard the above.

How to mount a new board in a case OR an old board in a new case.

1) Remove the IO plate from the back of the case. Most if not all new cases do not come with an IO plate however if yours does, remove it

2) Place the board in the case and use something like a sharpie or a pencil to mark the case where you will need to install the standoffs.

3) Remove the board and install the standoffs where you marked the case and no where else

4) Install the IO plate that came with your motherboard

5) Place the board on the standoffs and slide it into the IO plate. Secure it with the screws provided with the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.