PC powers up but will not open windows..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ranward

My laptop powers up but will not open windows; goes to the windows xp page, but then jumps to a blue screen (registry file failure?), and then to a black command prompt page. All tries on this page including normal startup, safe mode, last config, etc, etc, will not allow access to windows...keeps going round and round. RW:(

ranward

I do not have the recovery disk, the XP was loaded on my laptop when I bought it.

You should probably get hold of a boot disk and boot up to that rather than your hard drive. You can change the boot order in the BIOS if you need to and if you're familiar with editing the bios. And after you boot up, if you installed anything new before this happened I would uninstall it.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Some PC manufacturers that do not include recovery discs put a hidden partition on the hard drive that includes system recovery files. Check the documention for your laptop about any special key presses during power up to access a system recovery application.

--
Chuck W.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online