1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Powers Up, Monitor does not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zappa_0, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

Ok earlier today I was watching a dvd on my pc. When I went to put in a new dvd, it started up and went to the menu. It worked fine for a few until I hit play then it froze. I still could use the mouse but everything else was frozen. So I turned power off and everything seemed to be ok, but the monitor didnt come back on. It does this sometimes then I have to turn of my external hard drives then it loads up. Tried it and it wouldnt work. So I tested the monitor with my laptop which im currently on...it worked. So monitor is not a problem. So I opened up the box. There was a blinking red light near the cmos but that stopped after I cleaned the 56k modem off. I also took the cmos out and placed it back in. So next task I took out the video card which is an add in card, aswell replaced the ram. Everything is powering up and seems to be loading up. I cant get to BIOS or anything else before anyone asks. I then checked my external drives with the laptop and they was fine. Then I took the hard drive out of the machine giving me problems and put it in my other pc. I first put it as a master and gave me windows encountered a problem when it was shut off, tried to continue with safe mode, last good config, and normal but it would freeze up. The I placed it as slave and restarted. I had access to the files then. So I dont think its the HD. I am currently scanning the HD for adware and so on with Ad Aware. I think it might be a video card problem, but ive had it for a year. Its a Nvidea Gforce fx something cant remember it off hand. Everything is getting power, Power supply is working and motherboard has power. Any one got any ideas? Thanks!

Edit-

My PC is a Windows XP Pro and is a Gateway and is about 3 or 4 years old. Has 512 mb ram.

Edit #2--

Also my cmos has seemed to be failing, over thanksgiving and xmas I took my pc to my grandparents house and I had to put in the time a few times. But would a failing cmos cause problems with my monitor not coming up or things not loading?

2. norton850

norton850

A failing CMOS battery should not be doing this, although I know there are posts in the forum from time to time that claim otherwise. A new battery is cheap so replace it (sounds like you need one anyway) and then when you still can't see anything....

OK you've ruled out the monitor. So you are left with the PS, video card, RAM, MB, and CPU, more or less in that order. It still can be the PS even if things seem to running. Disconnect everything except the video card and monitor, PS, CPU/heatsink/fan, and one stick of RAM if you have two. If the problem continues the only way to troubleshoot it is to replace parts one by one or try them in another system.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Norton is correct; you can pull the battery out and the system will still post.

When you said you removed cmos, did you mean you removed the battery OR do you mean you pulled the bios chip out of the board?

I would start by pulling power to ALL drives; both optical and hard drives. Pull out any add-in cards except the video card; leave that connected. Now disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, card reader, hub, etc. Disconnect any device on LPT1 ie old printer, scanner. Leave just your keyboard and monitor connected.

Try to power up the system now and see if you can enter the bios. If you can, connect devices one at a time until you find the failed one.

If it does not post, then I would first reseat the atx power connector, reseat the ram, reseat the video card. Now try again. If it still will not post, you will need to swap parts with known working ones ie power supply, motherboard, ram, etc.

4. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

Shouldnt I be hearing some beeps if there was something wrong connected to the motherboard?

I took the battery out, not the whole cmos.

I have put in the video card, its not fully installed yet, but the first time in the other pc it did the same thing as it did over on the other, but I turned power off and back on, now its doing a check on the hard drive from other pc which I have in as slave. I did find 58 spyware mainly tracker cookies. I did bring back the HD to the pc and put it back in still same result. Im adding in the video card now. I think that it might be the problem, dont know if it is bad yet, but could it be just a bad hardware problem aswell? As for the ram I cant get it into the other pc, would be too much trouble to get to..its in a very bad place (behind the power supply) and im not about to tear up that pc. So thats it for now, I will go test a few other things. Thanks for the help...this has just got me stumped.

5. norton850

norton850

Just to add something, you don't need a HD at all to troubleshoot this problem.

6. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

Ok i just went back over to the computer where I put the video card in. It was having a time the screen was black and only had a mouse pointer on the screen. would this quilify a bad video card or it just having problem. I was still on the old video card btw. I turned the power off and took the card back out and it loaded fine. Also would the card read wrongly since I have the hard drive in from the other machine with the video card from the same pc?

I just tried to turn on the messed up pc with missing parts, still the same thing but it sounds like it was trying to do something. But if you have the default video card turned off in device manager wouldnt it still be looking for the card that is set to be the one used? And if the video card is infact bad, if you put in a new video card would it read it? This has really got me stumped and I would like to get it fixed tonight, but it doesnt look like it right now. Could something have happened to the bios which would mean the motherboard would be lost and I must get a new one?

7. norton850

norton850

Let me explain something and then maybe you can help me with what's going on. When you turn your system on it will go thru POST. No hard drive or windows is needed for this step. And of course you won't see any mouse cursor either. Then your system will boot into Windows. Now you need a functioning HD and functioning Windows which would include the proper settings and drivers for things like a video card.

So what's happening. When you flip the power switch do you see anything at all on your screen? Or do you see things until it tries to boot into Windows?

8. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

Nothing happens it just sets there and runs with a hard drive or with out, even with out the video card. It does act like it is trying to load up but nothing comes on the monitor, it does even read it. Hope that helps some.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the PC is failing to boot at least to the BIOS, then nothing will or can be seen on the monitor (apart from newer monitors displaying a self generated "no signal" message)

While you seem to assume that because the PC has fans running and lights on, that it is booting, that is not an indication.

There is (in the vast majority of cases) a single beep on successful POST.

To determine if your PC is reaching BIOS (but invisibly, due to a video problem) then try the Caps Lock key, the Caps Lock light should go on and off with each press. If that does not happen, the PC has not even reached POST, the problem is deeper than just video.

10. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

Well I also heard the hard drive booting up like it was doing something. The keyboard doesnt seem to being staying on. Comes online then looses power. I guess it is leading to a motherboard problem huh? What all is salvagable on a motherboard, I know the obvious things like ram and stuff, but what about the processor can it be saved or what? And whats the range on prices for a new motherboard these days? I wonder if Microsoft had a hand in this so I would get new hardware inorder to use Vista? Hehe. Well folks im gonna call it a night with this mess. Hope to see some new helpful money saving posts in the morning. Until then good night all and thanks for the help.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The CPU will be unuseable in a new motherboard in most cases, evolution has seen to that.

Likewise the RAM will be too slow or the wrong form factor for a newer motherboard.

The HDD will be useable, but will need Windows reloading, the Gateway system disk will not work unless the motherboard was identical and from Gateway. New Windows OS needed.

12. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

So can I get any more yes's on that it is a dead mother board?

13. norton850

norton850

You made a comment about what happened when you turned the computer on and pressed the num lock keys. What do you mean by it seemed to lose power?

14. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

No power to the keyboard it doesnt read it. Also i just hooked another computer up over here and its doing the samething. Im fixing to put everything back in the other computer and start it up somewhere else in the house. I read on some other forums that everything could be getting not enough power and thats why it wont start up. Would anyone else agree with this theory?

15. Zappa_0

Zappa_0 Thread Starter

Ok I just tried the nonworking computer over in the other room without a HDD, still the same thing. So everything seems to be loading up but doesnt read the monitor.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice