1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC problem, any help would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beniakiller, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beniakiller

beniakiller Thread Starter

So yesterday I was watching a youtube video on fullscreen and out of the blue, the screen changed to pink and then restarted, when it restarted it had some vertical lines and it would always reboot after the windows logo.

At that point I could only boot in safe mode but the vertical lines were still there, so I changed the option on the bios and put it to boot with the onboard graphic card. Everything loaded smooth with the onboard, I used the pc the whole day no problem, just a bit laggy on the videos and not that great of a resolution.

So today a friend of mine told me that someone gave him a graphics card (geforce gtx 550 ti) and he doesn't know if it works great or anything, just that it looked new. So I removed the previous one and put this one on my mobo, pc booted perfectly, I uninstalled my previous AMD drives and put the Nvidia ones, loaded a game of League of Legends and I had great fps at high (160~250). But about 2 hours of gaming later, my pc started restarting out of nowhere and it restarts again when playing a game.

At this point I'm quite sure that it is a gpu problem, so I could order a new one and just replace it, but I'm afraid that if it's something else I could be wasting money for no reason.

Any idea what it could may be?

Thank you all in advance!

2. replay

replay

u didn't list all your specs incl the psu

3. beniakiller

Ah ye man I forgot.

Mobo : Gigabyte 880GM-D2H
    cpu : amd fx-4100
    previous gpu that died on me : amd raddeon hd6670
    gpu I'm using now ( although I don't know if it has any problems since i got it for free from a friend who said someone gave it to hime) : nvidia gtx 550 ti
    psu : a 30 euro 550W psu that I got from a local store
    ram : 2x2gb

4. replay

replay

30 euro 550W psu

what brand and model is that.................

5. beniakiller

hahaha i was building a budget pc and i was out of money, it's from a small greek company i think so it's pretty bad, it has lasted me 2,5,almost 3 years so not that bad of an investment, do you think that that is the problem with my pc now?

6. replay

replay

thats a 33 dollar power supply = probably junk

invest in a decent power supply.......antec,corsair,thermaltake to name a few

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Agreed, I think PSU is the most likely cause at this point, however your original GPU may also be broken.

When you got the vertical lines, did they appear as soon as you switched the machine on (BIOS screen etc) or did they appear once Windows started to load?

I would definately replace the PSU regardless though :)

8. beniakiller

Alright I'll order a corsair psu later today, as for the gpu and the vertical lines, they appeared on the very first screen, loading bios had no vertical lines tho and neither did the starting Windows logo, it would just restart after it and when booting in safe mode there were vertical lines all over.

9. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi beniakiller,

I have to agree with the rest – it would be strongly recommended to change your PSU. Also, make sure the one you chose has sufficient Wattage(there are various calculators online).
    You could do a stress test and share the results along with your temperatures here.
    Making sure that all your components are firmly in place might seem like a long shot, but wouldn't hurt.
    P.S. Making sure everything with your RAM is in working order (and well seated) could help.

Keep us posted,
    Frost_WD

10. beniakiller

Hey, thanks for replying, can you help me and tell me how do I stress test anything? Thanks again!

11. valis

valis Moderator

12. beniakiller

13. beniakiller

I run prime95 for about half hour before the temps hit 79 C degrees and decided to stop it, then ran funmark and pc restarted within 2-3 minutes of stress testing the gpu, any clue?

14. beniakiller

Some update, pc now crashes while gaming after a while, screen goes black and i hear a buzzing sound for about 2 seconds, then it restarts, temps seem fine (gpu ~55 range, cpu 40-60).

15. replay

replay

Maybe u should stop using the computer until you install the new psu????

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice