1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc problem(help) !

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kromos, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kromos

Kromos Thread Starter

one of my pc`s,graphics card gave up.i removed it and only replaced it a couple of months later(money problems).i bought a new graphics card,compatible with windows xp.i installed it and when i switched it on,nothing comes up just a blank screen,no beeps,just a red light(which normally flashes onces and goes off),it just stays on.everything else on my pc is not less then six months old ! !can anybody help me please ?

2. putasolution

putasolution

Make sure that the graphics card is seated properly, and that you haven't dislodged any IDE or power cables

3. Kromos

Kromos Thread Starter

i checked everything and everything is fine and connected.when i switch the pc on,this is what i get:
    -the screen is black(the monitor is working )
    -a red light comes on but doesnt go off(just stays on)
    -all the hardware is not less then six months old

do i need to change the socket where you connect the graphics card to the motherboared.one of my friends had to do it to his pc and it worked ????

4. akita

akita

is your gfx card pci or agp ?

5. Kromos

Kromos Thread Starter

agp,its nvidia -g-force card

6. akita

akita

if the card is agp, then you will only have one agp slot, so you will not be able to swap slots..... as putasolution has said, reseat the card and try again.... also ensure that any onboard graphics are disabled !!!

7. Kromos

Kromos Thread Starter

theres no built in graphics card,my previous graphics card was a voodoo3 3dfx .i think its a pci card,if it was a pci card ,do i need to change the connection on my motherboared to support an agp graphics card ?

8. akita

akita

if it is an agp card, then you need to enable agp support in your bios setup....

9. Kromos

Kromos Thread Starter

i cant change any settings on my pc if it doesnt switch on ! !

10. Brockman

Brockman

try to find a old pci card somewhere, maybe off e bay a 2meg. card just so you can start up and change your bios settings.

11. milomorai

milomorai

when you can get your display working, boot into safe mode and remove all graphics adapters from device manager then reboot. you have to remove old drivers and have only the windows default driver loaded before you install new ones especially with nvidia chips.

12. Kromos

Kromos Thread Starter

tanx alot for the help ! ! !(y) :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice