PC problem running Windows 95

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JimmyMac

I moved some files or programs into folders in drive C my hard drive. I didnt delete anything just wanted to get more organized is all. Everything worked fine intil I did a restart. Now I cant get windows to run and I am stuck on the black and white startup screen. After the memory test on the bottom of that screen it keeps saying : insert disk and hit any key to continue. Can I resolve this problem or do I have to take it to repair shop? Thanks, Jim. :confused:

Sounds like you moved some files you shouldna, Jim. What exactly did you move? Files like personal documents, pictures, whatever, are o.k. to move but if you moved anything from C\Program Files\ or C\Windows, then your in a pickle. So, what did you move?

Hulk701

Banned
If you had a system restore function you could put all the files you moved back into the original place. Something like Norton GoBack would do this for you.

At present, unless you remember what you moved and where the best thing to do now is to reinstall Windows.

Over time you can figure out which files you moved and where by finding all the duplicate file you have. But that will take awhile.

In the meantime, that's the best I can offer..

sorry... :(

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
No SYSTEM RESTORE or SCANREG /RESTORE with Windows 95(just Windows 98/98SE and ME). (n)

It sounds like you moved something crucial that you shouldn't have, and now Windows won't work. Have you tried restarting in "safe mode"? I fear you may have to reinstall Windows 95 over itself. :(

Just a thought, you may want to try booting with a boot floppy and at the command promt type "FDISK /MBR" without the quotes. If by chance the master boot record was corrupted and moving the files is not the problem, this will recreate the boot record.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online