PC randomly lagging with CPU spikes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lounds

SPECS:
Windows 10 Home edition
1060 6GB
16GB RAM @ 2666MHz
i5-8600k (not overclocked)
Strix B360-F Motherboard
80GB Intel SSD running Windows & 2 HDD for general storage

My PC has been getting lag spikes, and this can happen at any point when I'm playing a game or even just browsing the internet or doing other non-intensive tasks.

When it lags a few things will happen
CPU 0 will shoot up to 100% usage
My ping will jump up anywhere from 100ms to 1000ms
Audio will become glitchy whilst it's lagging

There have also been times when my PC has become completely unresponsive requiring a hard restart, which is less frequent however still happens at least once every few days.

I've tried various things.
Resetting PC twice
Updating all drivers
Changing power options for high performance
Changing some things in Regedit (disabling Xbox services which has caused me issues in the past)
Uninstalled Nvidia Audio drivers as this also caused me issues in the past
Removed RAM sticks to check if either were faulty
Updated BIOS

I've tried using windows performance recorder to find the process causing this issue, but it often changes. One point it was chrome so I uninstalled it completely. Then when I checked again, the point at which it lags CPU 0 jumps to 100% usage but it didn't say any process was using this (or at least I couldn't read it properly, honestly I'm new to using it so). Temperatures are all normal as well.

Any help or ideas would be useful. I'm going to borrow a friends hard drive tomorrow to see if the issue is software or hardware related, but anything I can try in the meantime would be great.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What do you mean by "1060 6GB"?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How full is the 80 GB SSD?
If it is getting full, then that is a start of your issues.

lounds

How full is the 80 GB SSD?
If it is getting full, then that is a start of your issues.
I don’t put anything on the SSD whatsoever, it’s literally just used to run windows off of so it’s less than half full.

I’ve tried fragmenting it and checking for errors and all looks fine.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You never want to defrag a SSD

Windows updates, and protection program updates, temp files and etc. all will add to your SSD.
Post a screen shot of the properties of the SSD?

How are you controlling the "Cache" files and where they are being used?

lounds

You never want to defrag a SSD

Windows updates, and protection program updates, temp files and etc. all will add to your SSD.
Post a screen shot of the properties of the SSD?

How are you controlling the "Cache" files and where they are being used?
https://ibb.co/tHCq799
That's a screenshot of my SSD properties. Looks like I was wrong about the size it's just a 60GB, but still has half free. Need any other screenshots just let me know.

As for the Cache files I'm not really sure what they are so can't answer that sorry.

lounds

Update:

Seems I've fixed it. Was going through hardware to find what was faulty and the PC worked perfectly without the GPU, so in a last ditch effort I put it the GPU back into the other PCIE slot and it's all working fine now. Not sure why one of the slots would be broken as the Mobo is less than a year old but nice to have it working at least.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks for the feed back.
You need to flag this Solved.

lounds

Problem is back. Feel free to give me suggestions on what I can do to sort it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online