1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Randomly Shuts Off When Gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yarlen, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yarlen

Yarlen Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas on what's going on with my PC because I'm out of them. :(

Recently my system has begun to randomly shut down while gaming - no BSOD, no Event Logs in Windows other than the kernal lost power. I've replaced the power supply (1050W), the motherboard, the video card, the sound card, the case, the CPU and the CPU cooler (moved from air to liquid cooling) and even my UPS. Nothing has helped. I've run CPU diagnostics - the Intel Processor one turned up nothing, using OCCT and Hot CPU Tester Pro both reproduced the shutdown, but apart from that didn't show anything odd. Memtest86 didn't find anything wrong. I've even tried to turn down the voltage to the CPU in the BIOS to no effect.

I'm at a total loss at this point. Help! :)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 63 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 32694 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476814 MB, Free - 409342 MB; D: Total - 1907603 MB, Free - 1904348 MB; E: Total - 457338 MB, Free - 372457 MB; F: Total - 953739 MB, Free - 711138 MB;
    Motherboard: EVGA INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, 150-HE-E997
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Is it a particular game ?
    can you remember when it started anything change ?
    Is the internet required to play the game?

sounds like you replaced a lot of the hardware

Did you include chipset drivers and re-install the software at all ?

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

Yarlen:::
    you never said what PSU U bought--just 1050 watts--
    also doesn't say what RAM U bought---
    studying about the new Haswell E CPUs--
    they have 8 cores & accordingly they have a new temperature ratio , especially when over clocked---
    even thought a 2011 socket CPU Cooler might fit the screw patteren on the new X99 motherboards---
    recommendations are to use one made specifically for the new socket 2011 v3---
    they are brand new on the market so proably not a whole lot to choose from---
    about the PSU---
    Intel says the new Haswell Es CPUs run at 140 watts TDP at idle
    a Ivy Bridge I-7 CPU runs at 80 watts TDP at idle
    so this new CPU / motherboard socket is going to demand a strong PSU on the 12.v rail--
    also reading
    looks like the X99 motherboards shipped before they had all the kinks out of them---
    didn't look at EVGA , but support pages for ASUS says they have kicked out several BIOS updates
    for their X99 line of motherboards

4. Yarlen

Yarlen Thread Starter

It's any game I try, 3D, 2D doesn't matter.

I don't recall, 3-4 weeks ago I think now.

And yes, after installing the OS chipset drivers, etc. were the first things I put back.

5. Yarlen

Yarlen Thread Starter

I've tried Thermaltake (3) of these: Thermaltake Tough Grand Power Supply ATX 1050 PS and am now using a EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 PS ATX12V/EPS12V 80PLUS Platinum Certified Power Supply 220-PS-1000-V1. RAM is 32GB (4GBx8) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel Memory (GSKILL Ripjaws 4).

The 5930K I have only has 6 cores (they come in 4, 6 and 8 core flavors). I'm not overclocking - there's no need to - and I am using a cooler designed for the 2011 v3 socket. Hottest the CPU gets even when I can get a game running for a while is 43C. I've also got the latest BIOS for my motherboard.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice